Hodge71

Dads new tractor...at least the parts of it

Hodge71

Dads 12 automatic just keeps getting more and more tired every Thursday I cut the grass with it. Im sure it has 4000 hours on it if not closer to 5000. I have been searching on here and the local Craigslists for a C145,165, or 175 automatic Blackhood but nobody seems to be able to help me. I even would have taken a 417 or 418 if I could have found a decent one for a decent price. Fast forward >>>>>> Looks like his new tractor is going to be a 1995 416 hydro. It needs a ton of work, all cosmetic and unfortunately it has an Onan but the price is right. All that has to happen is get it out of the barn its in buried in between grain mills and trailers and get to stripping it. I'm going to get rid of that stinking 9 pin connector and spline in new insulated Sta Kon terminals. New battery, tires, seat and paint are also in store for it. Hope this turns out ok. I also think Im heading into the realm of painting with a paint gun instead of spray bombs. I see the cost for a quart of Majic is $11.46 plus hardener at my local TSC. I think its the way for me to cut some costs and get a better end product.

post-1339-0-17035700-1406505507_thumb.jp

post-1339-0-82184400-1406505534_thumb.jp

post-1339-0-00354800-1406505604_thumb.jp

post-1339-0-79124100-1406505646_thumb.jp

Edited by hodge71
  • Like 1

Wishin4a416

Another one saved. Nice find. You will have it up and runningsoon  Im sure.

Sparky

Good luck....anyway to check compression to be sure its firing on the rear cylinder? That could kill what might be a good deal.

Mike.........

• Like 1

km3h

I have two of those and I like them both. Don't be afraid of that motor. Yes parts are costly but you don't have to buy them often. Make sure you take the tins off the Onan and clean the debris out. They get caked with grass and mice nests. Probably needs a valve adjustment while you are at it.

Good find and I wish you good luck.

Hodge71

I have two of those and I like them both. Don't be afraid of that motor. Yes parts are costly but you don't have to buy them often. Make sure you take the tins off the Onan and clean the debris out. They get caked with grass and mice nests. Probably needs a valve adjustment while you are at it.

Good find and I wish you good luck.

Im just not a fan of the Onan at all. Gimme a thumper Kohler single or Kohler twin anyday. I also have no clue about adjusting valves. Im very mechanically inclined but honestly I am no small engine guru. Im good with the basics on Kohlers but know nothing about Onans other than my experiences with my 1996 416. None of which included valve adjustments. Hopefully I wont need to worry about it

Edited by hodge71

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

How bout building a tractor? I often thought of a 520-8. But with a kohler. Maybe one day.......

Glenn

Wheel-N-It

Good find and upgrade for your Dad. Congragulations Jeff, you did very well. I'll be looking forward to your progress.