joposthauer

C105 smoking.

joposthauer

Just got a c105 8 speed Kohler. Brother changed points on it to get it running. After mowing for a few days it starts smoking steady white smoke from front of engine in the middle but only when the PTO isb engaged. Is this major or minor?

AMC RULES

Hope you did an oil change too.  

How'd the old oil look?   :scratchead:

:WRS:

Edited by AMC RULES

Lane Ranger

Make sure your air filter is clean and free of any debris too!. 

joposthauer

Air filter looks good. Oil was low but I filled it.

JustinW.73

I know this sounds silly but try this. Take the points out completely with the push rod and clean them with a rag and put them back in and adjust to .17. I did this because my kohler knocked and smoked and heard the points can knock. After I did this it doesn't knock and it hardly smokes at all. It will smoke some when cold but let it run for a good 10 min and see what happens.

rmaynard

When you topped off the oil, did you make sure that you didn't over fill it? Too much oil can cause smoking.

• Like 1

WH nut

Have you tried Chantix? :ychain:

joposthauer

Have you tried Chantix? :ychain:

Lmao. I have but not for the mower.

If it is points again. What can cause issues with them. I'm new with mowers.

JustinW.73

Being dirty and oily. Try what I said above

tunahead72

... Take the points out completely with the push rod and clean them with a rag and put them back in and adjust to .17 ...

That would be .017".

Maybe a dirty or malfunctioning breather assembly?

JustinW.73

That would be .017".

Maybe a dirty or malfunctioning breather assembly?

Oh sorry. Always get tenths and hundredths wrong when it comes to gaping on engines.

Fordiesel69

What he was saying is the points themselves will not knock, but the points, plunger, and cam lobe can affect ignition timing when they begin to wear.  Being you do not know the condition of the cam, the condition of the plunger, I personally would set them at 0.017 and see how it goes.  Listen close for any rod knock, even if it is minor.  If you have this white smoke, and no engine knock, you can usually replace just the rings and hone the cylinder.  These engines seem to fail from oil burning / blowby and then the oil level gets low and takes out the rod. 

I used to be under the mentality if it smokes a little, don;t worry about it, just add oil regulary.  Now I fix them so I do not accidentally forget and run it low.

JustinW.73

No the points can knock. It may be the push rod tho

joposthauer

I think I've decided with help from others that it is blow by. If I make dam sure to keep it with oil should it make it through this year without a rebuild?

Fordiesel69

As long as it is not knocking, yes.  But also keep in mind topping off BEFORE use may not be enough.  You may have to stop and check thoughout your use.  I once had a K301 that used 0.5qt every 20 minutes.  It would have locked up had I completed my mowing.

joposthauer

I can't tell if it's really knocking. Just kind of sounds like the exhaust discharge