Sign in to follow this  
traktorkidd7/30/93

Engine noise

traktorkidd7/30/93

Does anyone have a kohler that when they throttle down you can hear a tick but the engine still runs great and doesnt loose power?

And what is it? Is it seroius? Valves? :banghead:

jusjeepn

Valves would be the first thing I would suspect also. You can get an idea by putting a stethoscope against the valve cover while the engine is running. If you don't have a stethoscope you can get one at about any auto parts store. You could also remove the valve cover and check the valve clearances at the lifters. If an excessive amount of gap is found, remove the head and check the seats before adjusting the lifters. Hopefully this helps!

linen beige

Valves would be the first thing I would suspect also. You can get an idea by putting a stethoscope against the valve cover while the engine is running. If you don't have a stethoscope you can get one at about any auto parts store. You could also remove the valve cover and check the valve clearances at the lifters. If an excessive amount of gap is found, remove the head and check the seats before adjusting the lifters. Hopefully this helps!

A couple of feet of fuel line, vacuum line, heater hose, or even garden hose can be used as a stethoscope. The smaller diameter hoses work better if you plug the end with a small bolt. Hold the bolt against the engine. You can also just put the end of a long screwdriver or ratchet extension against the block and put the other end close to your ear. Any taps will vibrate through the tool. Move it around to find the noise.

kpinnc

Had to adjust some gap out of a Kohler Magnum just a few days ago, for the same reason.

TICK-TICK-TICK-TICK- I really hate that sound!

But it worked. The engine sounds great now!

But, a word of caution: Be sure you don't adjust too much, or else you'll prevent the valve from seating. In my case, it was the exhaust valve, and I adjusted too much out of it. Engine compression? It flew south for the winter, and the engine sputtered and spit like a wet cat. After CORRECTLY adjusting the valve clearance, the engine runs like a top with no TICK.

Good luck!

Kevin

traktorkidd7/30/93

Well im not master mechanic so I will have my friends dad that is take a look :banghead: