7316autohorse

Can I put a 60" deck on 1973 Auto 16??

7316autohorse

I have a 1973 Wheelhorse Auto 16. It has a 42" deck not but I would really like to add a 60" deck. Can this be done easily and what are the chances of finding a deck that will work? I was told a 520H deck will not work, that was the only one I seen for sale in WI.

daveoman1966

There was a post on here a few weeks ago.  Someone stated that if you change the C-160 front wheels from 8" to the smaller 6" the 60" deck will fit under it.  I have a C-160 and a 60" deck from a 520H but have not tried that.  You could also swap out the C-160 front axle to the Forward Swept axle from a 520H.       

tbarnhart

The 60 in. deck from a 520 will fit under and work, but you can't turn very sharp or the tires will hit the deck. Also be aware that that the big deck requires its own design of mule drive, so make sure you have the correct mule drive for the deck. The swept forward axle from a 520 would solve the tire clearance problems. The frame is also a weak point when you hang that heavy deck under the tractor. There are lots of posts on frame reinforcement to solve that problem as well. Can it be done? Certainly! Just not without a few issues that will take a little work. And then you have to figure out if 16hp will make it happen with the grass that you cut. If it's regular easy cutting you will be ok. If your like me and don't find the time until it looks like a hay field, you might better stick with the 48.