Sign in to follow this  
pfrederi

Valve Adjustment for K181 series

pfrederi

Bigger Kohlers have adjustable valves, but the 7 and 8 hp models (also KT17) do not.  If the valves are too tight the manual says you are supposed to grind some metal off the end of the valve stem.  I am working on one right now where someone tried this...looked like he held the valve in his hand and attacked the end with a file.  There are several planes to the end surface.  You can see only a small portion of the valve stem contacted the tappet.

Any tricks or tips on how to neatly and evenly remove a bit of material from the end of the valve stem??

As engines age and valves get lapped the valve seat gets a bit thinner and a new valve will be too tight.

sorekiwi

I clamp a V block to the table on my bench grinder, square to the side of the grinding wheel.  Just touch the wheel very lightly and keep checking your length.  Pretty easy to take off too much.

• Like 1

Coadster32

Great tip Mike. You can also do the same to a belt sander if available. It should be a little more forgiving on the material removal with a medium grit belt.

pfrederi

I will try that ...Thank you!!