redblood

Commando reverse issue

redblood

72 commando 800, been an excellent tractor for the 15 or so years I have owned it, problem developed last winter when plowing snow, reverse started making a hard bang noise every revolution of the wheel, then got to the point where it seemed only one wheel was pulling in reverse. So I took tranny out, split cases expecting to find an obvious problem, but I can't find anything other than one bad needle bearing closest to wheel hub. It seems to shift fine , differential looks good, my fear is putting back together and still having same issue. Any suggestions out there? Thanks

daveoman1966

Take the differential apart.

• Like 1

redblood

Hey thanks for replying, I did take the diff apart, nothing looks sketchy.

chazm

WELCOME TO :rs:

Post some pics of the innards so some of the :wh: experts can see what-ca got goin on in there ... :handgestures-thumbupright: 

redblood

Thank you for the welcome, just wanted to mention I had been getting some slipping in reverse when in deep snow in recent years but never In forward speeds. Not sure if that was belt related or not. If it was the belt causing slipping wouldn't it slip going forward as well?

stevasaurus

I agree with Dave...it sure sounds like it is in the differential.  Could be a bearing...how bad was that axle bearing??  Enough slop in the end of the axle housing may cause a popping sound in the differential.  It is the slipping thing that I am not understanding.  It sounds like you are not grinding any gears.  I doubt it is the belt...the belt rotates in the same CCW direction no matter what gear you are in.  Take a good look at your reverse idler, cluster gear, the bronze sleeves inside the cluster gear, the needle bearing inside the input shaft (that the spline shaft sits in), and take a good look at your axle gears.  As you can see, there is not much in there to check.  Post some pictures if you can. :)

BTW...Welcome to Red Square.

daveoman1966

Commando 800 trans schematic.:

redblood

Thanks guys for all your suggestions, since I couldn't find anything wrong other than needle bearing the axle slips through, I decided to put it all back together. In the mean time, I picked up another tranny mainly because I needed wheel hubs, in the process now of trying to get hubs off without damaging them, slow process, I notice that on my tranny if you turn one axle the other spins opposite way, which I believe is normal, but on the tranny I just picked up it doesn't do that, both spin same way . Only difference in the 2 is one has high and low range. Could the one I just bought have possie rear end ? Or maybe something is wrong with one if the trannies, I don't know.

daveoman1966

If the axles turn opposite directions, then it is an 8-pinion differential.  The one you picked up is a 10-pinion.  With a 10-pinion, the axles will turn the same direction. 

redblood

Thanks, it's great to talk to knowledgable people, I got the wheel hubs off, gonna sandblast and paint them, should have the commando running on Friday

racinfool40

I hope you were going to use the high/low trans in your tractor...the hubs on the high/low trans are 1-1/8th axle...the hubs on the 4-speed are 1" axle..

redblood

The tranny came off 1986 312-8 wheel horse, it has 1" wheel drums. I put them on today, used a little never seize just in case I ever take them off again. So tough to get off after close to 30 years on.

redblood

I meant to say wheel hubs

redblood

We'll got the commando back together and tranny seems fine, guess it was just axle bearing causing all the problems.

• Like 1