humnbass

New Raider 12 won't start

humnbass

I just brought my new raider 12 6 speed home yesterday and I've found a few things going on with the engine that I need help with if you will.  First, the starter return spring needs to be replaced.  Is this an order only part or is this something I can go to an auto parts store and pick up?  Also, the K301 is not firing.  from the looks of it all it has is a set of points, a condenser and a coil of some type that's bolted under the dash plate.  I'm thinking that if I change all of these parts and set the points correctly I should be good.  Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

thank you.

oldredrider

The starter spring is probably OK. The gear is just dragging on the shaft. Remove the starter from the engine (2 bolts and 1 wire) and clean the starter shaft with mineral spirits. Lube the shaft with graphite untile it springs back.

File the points really well and set to .018-.020. See if you now have a spark by grounding spark plug (out of the motor).

Let us know what happens after you have done this and we'll take it from there.

humnbass

Removed the starter because I couldn't stand that loud grinding noise when it was getting stuck on the flywheel while trying to disengage and found that it has no return spring at all.  Is this a part that I can get by itself or do I have to replace the starter?

thank you.

post-13472-0-35485800-1405603302_thumb.j

oldredrider

NAPA carries some small engine stuff. See if they can find you one.

Most any lawn mower shop should be able to get that spring for you.

humnbass

Got the starter fixed.  I went to the lawn mower parts and repair shop and got the "that part is discontinued" spill.  So I went to a place that rebuilds car and truck starters and alternators.  The guy grabbed an old starter off the shelf, snatched the spring off and placed it on my starter for no charge.  Hopefully I'll have some additional progress to share with you guys tomorrow and Thanks for all of your help.  This forum is the best. 

post-13472-0-05958000-1405615140.jpg