localdj77

RPM carb tuning help!

localdj77

Ok so thanks to you guys I got my horse running again!  Leveled out my deck and just need to sharpen my blades, change the fluids and tune the carb.....

About the carb....

I hooked up my digital timing light that I use to time cars and hoped it would work. I turned it to 4 cycle and tuned the lower idle to 1200. I got close but not quite there.  I figured 1300 was close enough.  The issue was the high idle or run speed.  I read that 3600 is where I need to be but if I put it to 3600 it just doesn't seem like much.  It actually seems more like a mid idle.....not full power.  If I run the throlttle all the way up it sounds too high.  Suggestions?  What else would you suggest to read the rpm's? 

Also, what size socket to take the blades off?  I have all metric sizes so I'm assuming I'm going to need to buy a socket. 

Edited by localdj77

SousaKerry

I think the Kohlers may spark every other revolution so your RPM's would be twice what you are reading?  Or is it half????  

Maybe someone smarter then I will chime in, I know that it is something odd.

localdj77

I was thinking that but I would like to know.  Actually I'm not sure tha makes sense.  That would make it a 2 stroke.....right?

JustinW.73

Is it seem like its bogging. Try leaning the HIGH SPEED NEEDLE. Only make quarter turn adjustments. Also make sure the high speed needle holes are clean. If that doesn't work it might be the governor is out of adjustment.

localdj77

Cleaned the carb a couple weeks ago and thats why I'm tuning.  How to I go about knowing if it need to adjust or adjusting the governer?

JustinW.73

Do you know the which one the high speed needle is and low speed needle. If so, it sounds rich on the high needle. give it a quater to have turn clockwise. I would start out at 2 turns from compleatly screwed in and the make it leaner if needed

tbarnhart

I don't know what engine your working with, but your timing light/tachometer could be set wrong and giving you the wrong readings. The old K-series Kohlers with points spark every second revolution of the crankshaft and you would set your meter the same as an automotive engine. The newer Magnum series as well as most Briggs and the old Solid State Tecumsehs would spark every revolution and would require you to set the meter the same as a two-stroke. Hope this helps. As far as the blade socket, most of the newer decks used a 1-1/8.

localdj77

I don't know what engine your working with, but your timing light/tachometer could be set wrong and giving you the wrong readings. The old K-series Kohlers with points spark every second revolution of the crankshaft and you would set your meter the same as an automotive engine. The newer Magnum series as well as most Briggs and the old Solid State Tecumsehs would spark every revolution and would require you to set the meter the same as a two-stroke. Hope this helps. As far as the blade socket, most of the newer decks used a 1-1/8.

Thanks tbarnhart!  Thats what I thought when I was doing it...it just seemed literally half what it should be!  Good news is it purrs at 650 for idle.  That would explain why it wouldn't run well any lower.  That being said....is it ok to idle at 650?  Should I bump it to 1200?

tbarnhart

I would think that a 650 rpm idle would be too slow for a splash lubricated engine, but you haven't said what engine your working with. If it's a newer pressure lubed onan, it would probably be ok.

localdj77

K801 I believe......312-8 magnum.....I'll bump up the idle and do a final set of the high idle.  results pending!