Tyler9014

Craigslist find! Suburban 400 in Green Bay Wisconsin

km3h

Now there's a good Daddy.

jackhammer

Squonk,

As a Bears fan living in Packerland, I must object to your video.

It has been a hard decade.

That video is just rubbing it in!

Why can't we  all get along?

Because Squonk won't convert

squonk

NEVER!!

AMC RULES

:hilarious:

Give him time. 

Tyler9014

I got my new transmission thanks to SmokinJoe and Stevasaurus. I decided to try the motor oil finish look and I think it turned out pretty good. Anyone know what model snowblower I have? No ID tag on it and it needs all new bearings and chain.

post-8237-0-05041500-1407784050_thumb.jp

post-8237-0-09500200-1407784101_thumb.jp

post-8237-0-98230800-1407784149_thumb.jp

stevasaurus

Excellent Tyler...the trans looks like a good match for the patina you have there.  Make sure those axle seals are on all the way and square.  I included 2 wood ruff keys under that bolt that holds the seat on...glad they made it.  I really like Fastenal for shipping...really pain free.  That clamp holding the keys is to hold the lift cable in place...(you knew that).  :)

Looking forward to rebuilding the old trans with you. 

That snow blower looks like it could be a STR-324 or an ST-324.  The STR is for a Ranger.

Edited by stevasaurus

Tyler9014

I actually did not know about the cable clamp, my old trans. didn't have it. I used a small pipe to tap the seals on but the left side keeps going out of square when tapped on tight. Fastenal shipped it on a pallet all by itself. Seems like a big waste of floor space but shipping was cheap. Once I get the tractor re-assembled I will get to work on the old trans.

squonk

Glad your Fastenal's don't have the Dim-wit blonde running the store like here!  :rolleyes: You have to be there in the morning if you need it moved with the fork lift. Well some of us work from 7 to 4 :rolleyes: At least those RJ trannies are light. The tiller I shipped was a handful  :notworthy:

km3h

Glad your Fastenal's don't have the Dim-wit blonde running the store like here!  :rolleyes: You have to be there in the morning if you need it moved with the fork lift. Well some of us work from 7 to 4 :rolleyes: At least those RJ trannies are light. The tiller I shipped was a handful  :notworthy:

Can anyone ship through Fastenal or must you be an employee. I did not know they offered a service like this.

Tyler9014

Anyone can do it but when you go ask expect some funny looks from the Fastenal employee. I don't think many people use Fastenal for shipping, the employee looked at me like I was crazy at first. They have a form on the Fastenal website under third party logistics, fill it out and e-mail it and they will approve the shipping.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Also, Google "Fastenal" and see where there is one near you and one near to where you are shipping.  You have to drop off there and the buyer must pick up from the store by them.  They had pallets where I shipped from...just dropped off the trans and Tyler paid for the shipping when he picked it up.  Took about a week.  :)  It would be hard to beat the price and no hassle.

Edited by stevasaurus

km3h

That's really good to know. I have many times wanted to buy something but could not figure a way to have it shipped to me. There are several Fastenal locations near me.

• Like 1

Tyler9014

Not sure if my new axle seals are seated right. At first I tapped them on with a pipe then used the hub without the woodruff keys and they seat like in the pictures either way.

post-8237-0-84000500-1408204192_thumb.jp

post-8237-0-30695200-1408204280_thumb.jp

Racinbob

To my eyes something doesn't look right. Are the bronze bushings OK? Unless I missed something I think that's the tranny that was shipped to you? If Steve or Mike went through it I'm sure that wouldn't be the case.

stevasaurus

The 1st picture looks OK for the seal...looks like there might be some slop in the hub.  The 2nd picture the axle seal looks like it is not on all the way...straight.  The outside of the hub should be flush with the end of the axle.  Do not be afraid to tap that hub against that seal and seat it.  It is a very poor design...get the seal straight and put the hubs on and take it for a ride...see if it leaks and how much if it does.  Let's go from there.  :)  Do not be afraid to seat that seal...don't use a 2 lb hammer with a swing like Tiger Woods, but give it a good whack.  This is a feel thing...you can tell if you are just jerking this thing around.  :)

AMC RULES

Is it possible that worn bronze bushings inside keep these axle seal from seating correctly. 

Tyler9014

I had the hub kind of floating on the axles with out the woodruff keys in and tapped it to the point I thought any harder would damage the seal and they still seat like in the pictures. The hubs slide on and off very easy without the keys so maybe just worn hubs. But the left side actually looked a little off when the hub and wheel were off. I will fill her up and give it a try once I figure out what length belt I need since it has the wrong engine.

I also have another set of hubs maybe I should dig those out and put them on to compare.

stevasaurus

Craig...no the seal does not interfere with the bronze bushing...if they are not straight, it is just a mater of seating.

Tyler, having the keys in a the hubs tightened may straighten out the hubs.  Check out your other set.  :)

Tyler9014

I finally got the axle seals seated right and a belt tensioner rigged up. Running and driving great  :woohoo:

post-8237-0-45832200-1410048503_thumb.jp

post-8237-0-71909400-1410048657_thumb.jp

post-8237-0-68814600-1410048708_thumb.jp

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Jennifer
On 7/24/2014 at 11:10 PM, Tyler9014 said:

My daughter has repeatedly talked about painting the tractor purple. I would love to make her happy and paint a tractor for her but it is not going to be this tractor. I am thinking about keeping it as is and doing the oil treatment to the sheet metal. I have a sort of low budget rat rod custom 700 I might let her talk me into painting purple.

Would like to see pictures of the rat custom 700, Please!

WHNJ701
6 hours ago, Jennifer said:

Would like to see pictures of the rat custom 700, Please!

this topic is from 5 years ago?

Jennifer
8 hours ago, jabelman said:

this topic is from 5 years ago?

Very good I thought you might still have the tractor!

Edited by Jennifer