doc724

Briggs Twin engine in C161

doc724

What is the experience by RS members with this engine?  What do I need to watch for?  I found what looks to be a nice C161 Hydro Blackhood, circa 1978  or 1979 that I am considering, but I don't want to inherit an engine rebuilding project.  With a 35 yo machine, there are always surprises.  All my WH are Kohler engined so I have no point of reference on Briggs.

thx

boovuc

Hi Doc,

Take both hands at the PTO shaft on a cool engine and push in and pull out a couple of times. A lot of play on the crank is an issue. I know the B&S Twins on the Wheelhorse Garden Tractors are not as beefy as the Kohlers and Onans and when mated to the WH PTO, they will wear prematurely.   

Fordiesel69

The problem is with the valve seats, just like the onan

Fordiesel69

In addition certain models do not have ball bearings on the crank, but rather a thrust face which can wear.  I will say that on our GT-1642 that we bought new, it is maintained and the engine is great.  The other GT-1642 we got used is already on engine #2 and has a loose valve seat.

Desko

In addition certain models do not have ball bearings on the crank, but rather a thrust face which can wear.  I will say that on our GT-1642 that we bought new, it is maintained and the engine is great.  The other GT-1642 we got used is already on engine #2 and has a loose valve seat.

I'll take number 2 off your hands if you don't want it lol

They have their problems as stated but with good maintenance it'll last, I had a vertical shaft style (I know not the same) and you could go out in the dead of winter and it would fire right up only pro le is they can be a gas hog.