PaulC

no skids or wheels on snowblower

PaulC

Weird time of the year to be thinking about my snowblower but I am. When I first started using my snowblower attachment I had the skids adjusted so the blower would get as close to the concrete as it could but it still left behind a lot of snow. At the beginning of last year I removed the skids completely and used it all year that way with very satisfactory results, most of the driveway would be completely clear right down to the surface.

I did some searching for my question but did not come up with much. Has anyone else used their blower for many years without any skids or wheels like I did last year? I am concerned that at some point it will grind the bottom of the whole thing so much that it will somehow screw it up? When I first did it the auger was bouncing on the pavement and the scraping edge was not completely flat but after a time or two of use she was running smooth and picking up every little spec of snow so it definitely ground down fairly quick on the concrete. I thought of reworking or making new skids that would allow me to keep it right on the ground and hopefully not go much further but never got around to it. Im looking for some insight from the WH boys as to weather I should make them up for this year?

Thanks Paul

WH nut

The cutting edge is replaceable and can be turned over. With wheels or skid you will wear it.

PaulC

I have two of the same units think they are 06-42ST04 and im almost positive they don't have a replaceable edge? I haven't looked recently because this just popped in my head for whatever reason but I know I have thought about this and looked at it closely before. Just took a look at the parts list I downloaded for it and it doesn't snow a cutting edge blade on it either?

WH nut

Im not sure what model mine is but it does have an edge. You could always mount one.

gwest_ca

I think the 1983 06-42ST03 42in model was the first to get the skids for the long frame tractors although they were available as an option in 1980 to be used with the wheels.

I think the 1987 06-42ST05 42in model was the first to get the wear bars for the long frame tractors.

Garry

wallfish

Now that you have the bottom edge flat, you can add the shoes back on which should prevent excessive wear. I know some blowers I've had didn't have a replaceable wear edge so it may also be a good idea to add one if yours doesn't have one already. Guess it all depends on how far you want to go with it.  

PaulC

this is obviously no rush but if someone could post a photo or two of the replaceable scraper edge on their snowblower I would appreciate it.

when I was thinking about this before I was planning to drill 2 new holes above the existing ones so I could use the same skids but be able to have them flush with the bottom of the blower, which is probably what ill do if I don't add a replaceable edge.

thanks for the input everyone