leeave96

Fender Pan Bolts - Anyone Ever Snapped Them Off?

leeave96

OK - taking off the fender pan on my otherwise reliable 314-8 to gain a little better access to the shifters and snapped two of the fender pan bolts off!!!

Looks like my repairs on this tractor just got a little more deep.... LOL

Please tell me I'm not the only one that has done this... ;)

jdleach

I have never broken any on a Horse, but have done so in other applications. These bolts are self-tapping, which means that the manufacturer just drills out the bracket holes to the tap drill size, and uses a semi-hardened bolt with a tapered end, and cross-cut threads, to cut the threads when screwed in. In a manufacturing environment, there is considerable cost savings due to the elimination of the tapping cycle.

The thing about a self-tapping bolt, is that the clearance between the threads tends to be much tighter than in a regularly tapped hole. If there is any corrosion around the bolt, removal can be much harder than normal.

If you can reach the end of the broken bolt, try soaking it down with your favorite juice, and use vise-grips to screw them out. I wouldn't back them out, but continue to screw them clockwise.

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

Bill, you are the only one who has ever done this. Remember "Lefty/Loosey & Righty/Tighty" :ychain:   :teasing-wedgie:

Seriously though I'm sure you are not the only one. I recommend you take Matt's advise listed above. That should do it.

• Like 1

MalMac

I will admit it, I snapped two of them right off. What was bad is the tractor was only 5 months old. Really did not have time to rust. I had to remove the pan to gain more access and snap the things right off. Had a heck of time getting them out. So no your not alone.

baerpath

When I break them off, I pull the tank and the tire on that side, then just use a pair of visegrips to turn it out the bottom. Usually takes very little effort once the tank is out.

Wishin4a416

I can honestly I never have, I just pulled one last night in fact. And it was a rusty machine. I always use the impact wrench so that might make a difference.