jdleach

Can't Leave Well Enough Alone

jdleach

Title says it all.

My intent when I first bought the 312, was to do all the maintenance items, fix anything obviously broken or missing, and use the tractor till this fall/winter when I would do some serious restoration.

But these damn things have a nasty habit of growing on you.

Slowly but surely, I have repaired, replaced, re-worked, or otherwise restored a significant number of items. And I just can't seem to stop. All I have to do, is walk past the tractor, and notice some little less-than-perfect part, and I begin planning of fixing it.

Just this week, I bought and installed a drive belt idler. This is covered in a separate thread under Transmissions. The other undertaking this week was the stripping and repainting of the seat frame.

After picking up a new seat at the Big Show and installing it the day I got back, I have been seriously irked by the rusty frame and springs it was attached to. So...last Monday I dismantled the seat, frame, and springs, took them to work, and sandblasted everything. Applied a coat of primer, and painted the parts semi-gloss black. Most all the hardware was wire brushed and painted. Was pleased to note that there was almost no wear on the hinge, and even the rubber bumper caps were like new, no cracking or checking.

Pretty pleased with how the seat frame came out.

Maybe now I'll just leave the tractor alone till winter..... but probably not. Noticed that most of the paint is gone from the PTO pulley, and the muffler has some rust on it.

The Rodent (granddaughter) gave the tractor her seal of approval by making me ride her around the yard.

post-12896-10694_thumb.jpg

post-12896-54098_thumb.jpg

post-12896-12757_thumb.jpg

post-12896-24302_thumb.jpg

Edited by jdleach
  • Like 6

WH nut

You now have the bug, Next it will multiply and you cant stop it.

• Like 4

IndianaMatt

Wait till you have about 3 of them tore a part at the same time. Now I have a 416-8 , 417-8, and a green thing in the shop all in various stages of restoration. The trick is to keep all parts labeled and all nuts and bolts in various tagged Ziploc bags.

OH and I happen to have a couple seat frames to send your way... Great job

Edited by IndianaMatt
  • Like 1

AMC RULES

Like the last pict...  :handgestures-thumbsup: 

of the Rodent and the Horse. 

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Same thing happened to me. But it's fun.

Once you get one your finished.

Glenn

• Like 1

jdleach

Like the last pict... :handgestures-thumbsup:

of the Rodent and the Horse.

Yeah Craig, some of my favorite photos are of the Rodent on the Horse. She is my little darling, and I love her to pieces. Her mother (my daughter), is such a kill-joy though. Overly protective, she got on to me for riding Addie around the yard too fast. Was running just above idle in 3rd high, just fast enough to bounce around a little. Rodent has a blast. Of course I hold onto her pretty tightly on my lap, make very sure she doesn't touch anything hot, and keep the keys in my pocket. She has almost figured out how to start the thing.

• Like 5

fireman

That's my biggest down fall. I can never leave well enough alone. That's why I went from 17 Wheel Horses down to 3. If I where to keep all of them I'd end up divorced and broke with what I would have to put into them.

• Like 2

IndianaMatt

That's my biggest down fall. I can never leave well enough alone. That's why I went from 17 Wheel Horses down to 3. If I where to keep all of them I'd end up divorced and broke with what I would have to put into them.

Feel free to buy as many as you want. You can store them at my house

• Like 1

jdleach

To get to your house, he has to go by mine first. So..... I get first dibs.

diamondred

Wheel horse anonymous may be my next step..      . :laughing-rolling:

• Like 1

Geno

I need to sign up for that too.   :)   My dad had one for 7 years and when he bought his next new one I bought his.  That was 20 years ago, she turned 27 this spring.  It is the only one I had until 6 weeks ago.  Since then I have bought 11 more, not to mention the tillers, blades and blowers...

We need an addicted to Wheel Horse smiley.    :teasing-tease:

Edited by Geno

AMC RULES
post-3498-0-38095700-1385503930_thumb.jp
  • Like 2

Geno

Where do we sign up.  :laughing-rolling:

diamondred

I'll supportive here and purchase several of those stickers, where can I order them from?

Geno

Just had to make some - AddictedtoWH_zpsd031b7c6.jpg    WHAnonymous_zpsada8d2c2.jpg

Edited by Geno
  • Like 2

AMC RULES

Nice Geno...  :handgestures-thumbsup:

you should forward those to Karl, get them added to our :rs: smiley list.

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 1

Geno

Who is Karl and how do I contact him?    :)

Geno

Thanks AMC, I sent him a message.  :)

• Like 1