Nathanielperz

Engine Troubles

Nathanielperz

Hey everyone my grandfather has a Wheel Horse... im not sure the model or the engine model I know the engine is a kohler... Anyway we cant get the thing to stay running... it starts up okay but once it worms up it stalls and wont start up again...

Here is what we HAVE done...

Changed the fuel filter

Cleaned the Carb

Checked the gas for water

Here is what we HAVE NOT done...

changed spark plug

cleaned fuel pump

Please let me know what this could be...

Thanks in advance, Nate

AMC RULES

:scratchead:   Condenser maybe?   :dunno:

Find out what engine it is Nate? 

Nathanielperz

I think he has a 520 H if that helps any... I don't know what kind of engine it has kohler or briggs that's all I know with out going there...

Thanks Nate

nylyon

A 520 would be an Onan, in which case could be the ignition module.  Need to get the exact model and engine.

Nathanielperz

Ok I will talk to my grandfather and get back to you guys

Thanks Nate

Nathanielperz

The engine is definitely a Kohler I asked my grandfather.... he doesn't know the model of the tractor though...

Does this help at all?

Thanks, Nate

motox25

If it were me, I'd hook up an in line spark tester between the line and plug and see if it's losing spark when it dies. If it does it's likely the coil. Could also be the fuel cap vent, you could loosen the gas gap and run it for awhile to see if it continues to stall. If it no longer stalls, replace the gas cap.

Steve Warner

I had a problem with a Kohler like that and it was the condenser. Just a thought and they are easy to change on those old engines

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steve

Lincoln IdealArc 250

Lincoln SA200 1966 Redface

• Like 1

Terry M

Sounds like there is some confusion as to what this tractor is.  Like stated above,find out what you have..then it will be easier for the many helpful and friendly members here on RS to help you diagnose your engine issues :) .....maybe posting some pics of the tractor could help ??

Nathanielperz

The tractor is a 416-8

boovuc

The 416-8 Speed came in three flavors over the years. A Kohler 16 horse single cylinder K341, a single cyl M16 Kohler Magnum and the later Onan 16 horsepower twin. Please look at the engine and tell us if it's a single cyl or a twin and that will remove any doubt we have about any advice we can give Nate. If he is sure it's a Kohler, we need to know if it's the older K series with a breaker ignition or the Magnum series with a breakerless, (no points or condenser), ignition.

It could be a couple things causing it but very different things between those three motors.

WH nut

A picture would tell the whole story

Nathanielperz

I can try to get some pictures of it... i will let you guys know...

Thanks, Nate

Sorry i didnt mean to quote anything...

Edited by Nathanielperz

boovuc

It's OK Nate.

To my knowledge, I have never uttered anything that anyone would want to quote!

• Like 3

Nathanielperz

Hahaha

Nathanielperz

Im going to get pictures of the tractor today

Nathanielperz

Here are the pics....

post-12518-0-33070500-1405722289_thumb.jpost-12518-0-75129600-1405722302_thumb.jpost-12518-0-37394000-1405722317_thumb.jpost-12518-0-40024300-1405722325_thumb.jpost-12518-0-40728300-1405722338_thumb.jpost-12518-0-02756600-1405722349_thumb.j

• Like 1

Nathanielperz

What do you think the problem is?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Nate

chazm

Well Nate,from your pics ,I can tell ya what the problem is.. You need to put a battery in it .... :ychain:

You said you replaced the fuel filter... did you replace the gas line ??? From the looks of your :wh: its been sitting awhile & old gas line deteriorates after time.

Also clean the tank to get any junk out of it as well ... This would be a starting point buddy.... :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

pacer

Two things I would try that will help considerably in elimination of the 2 main possible areas (and easy to do)

When it dies, quickly remove the spark plug, reconnect the wire and lay the plug on the head, spin the engine over with the starter and see if the plug is sparking - if it does re-instal the plug, if not then we can look into that. Doing this first and quickly will help if its a heat related problem - ie coil/condenser getting hot.

Then, with the air filter removed squirt some fuel into the carb throat (brake cleaner, WD 40, start fuel, etc) if it fires up then of course its a fuel related problem.

One or the other should point to ignition or fuel problems, then we can further diagnose the problem -- good luck.

Edited by pacer

Nathanielperz

Two things I would try that will help considerably in elimination of the 2 main possible areas (and easy to do)

When it dies, quickly remove the spark plug, reconnect the wire and lay the plug on the head, spin the engine over with the starter and see if the plug is sparking - if it does re-instal the plug, if not then we can look into that. Doing this first and quickly will help if its a heat related problem - ie coil/condenser getting hot.

Then, with the air filter removed squirt some fuel into the carb throat (brake cleaner, WD 40, start fuel, etc) if it fires up then of course its a fuel related problem.

One or the other should point to ignition or fuel problems, then we can further diagnose the problem -- good luck.

We cleaned the gas tank.... I will look at the gas lines. Actually the batter might be the problem.... No wonder it wouldn't crank over... :laughing-rofl:  :ychain: