Nathanielperz

removing dents

Nathanielperz

Hey everyone I was wondering if you could givee some tips on how to remove dents from a tractor hood or any part of a tractor...

Thanks in advance, Nate

Lane Ranger

Talk  to an auto body repair man and he can show you the hammer and dolly they use for various types of dents .   Auto stores sell these toold also and I bought a $12.99 hammer that did a great job on  improving some serious dents or metal bumps!

Nathanielperz

OK could I use a ball peen hammer?

Wishin4a416

Big dents or little dents? Little dents you may as well bondo or a hammer and dolley can be successful.  Big dents like someone sat on your hood can sometimes be removed with heating the area with a hairdryer and then shooting a can of compressed air over the area. The air comes out cold and pops the big dent sometimes. Do you have any pics?

Nathanielperz

Mostly small dents here are some pics... Please don't make fun of the paint I'm in the beginning stages of a restore...

Nathanielperz

I can't upload any right now they are too big

AMC RULES

squonk

The guy in Craig's video has it all wrong!!! Here's how to do it!  :)  :)

• Like 3

Aldon

Red Green....One of my all time favorite shows!

Coadster32

Too funny.

19richie66

Sign up for this forum and read the thread from MP&C.This is about the best "how to" I have ever seen on metal work.Great photos and explainations.Hope this helps.It did for me.Later,Richie

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182565

http://www.hnsa.org/doc/pdf/metal-body-repair.pdf

Edited by 19richie66

Nathanielperz

Haha funny video I will have to show my father that one...

Zeek

Hey everyone I was wondering if you could givee some tips on how to remove dents from a tractor hood or any part of a tractor...

Thanks in advance, Nate

You can get body hammers and dollys dirt cheap at HF in a small kit.  I have this one http://www.harborfreight.com/7-piece-body-and-fender-set-31277.html  I used to be in the body business and the technique this guy shows is pretty much how it's done  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDZxecZzc8o.  The biggest thing is only do enough tapping to get the dent out.  Do not overwork it and stretch the metal.  Otherwise it needs shrunk with a torch and that's harder to do without warping.  You can do corners with the same method and a narrow dolly.  If you don't want to spring for the kit, you can always use something flat and heavy and a regular hammer.  The key is to have something on the opposite side of the hammer, not just beating on the metal with the hammer alone.

jdleach

"If the ladies don't find you handsome, the should at least find you handy." Red Green

jdleach

If you want to go on the cheap, with a little practice, a dead blow hammer and a block of wood can do wonders. The issue with a hammer and dolly, is that the metal at the blow site(s) is flattened, and expands. Enough blows in a small area, and the sheet metal will start to bow and distort. The cure for this distortion is a shrink hammer. Shrink hammers have a knurled face which draws the metal together (looks like a meat tenderizer).

Regardless of tools, you need to go SLOWLY, and rap the metal lightly, just enough to move it, but not distort it. I have pounded out several dents on my 312 with a dead blow hammer and a piece of 2X4. Came out pretty good, and hardly even cracked the paint.

One other thing: Don't try for perfection, you will never attain it, and will only become frustrated. These tractors weren't "perfect" when new. Many had distortions and poor fit-up due to wear in the tooling. Most manufacturers won't re-furb a die till it gets pretty awful, so a lot of "marginal" stampings find their way into the product. I have found several minor issues just with the hood on my tractor. One side of the hood edging has a decidedly flat area, where the other has a nice continuous bow back toward the hood stand. There is zero evidence of damage, so I strongly suspect it came from South Bend that way.

Disclaimer: I am no body man, but have worked with iron, steel, aluminum, etc., for well over 30 years as a fabricator and toolmaker.

good advice so far , but keep in mind that when metal is dented it is also stretched. i suggest you get the book "the key to metal bumping" . it was first published in 1953 , is in reprint , and still covers the basics of working with sheetmetal. 

study the dent and see if you can figure out how it was put in , then do the opposite to remove. with the right tools and a little practice you can get results that will need no or very little filler