rjwhorse700

Cigarette lighter help

rjwhorse700

Did the cigarette lighter originally run straight to the battery or did it go to a solenoid? And what about the Headlights? Continous current Solenoid right?

rmaynard

What model? You should be able to download a wiring diagram from the manuals section.

Edited by rmaynard

Racinbob

I can't say for certain on all models but on a Raider 12 it came off the accessory terminal on the ignition switch.

rjwhorse700

Its 1969 workhorse 700

3745 is the model

Racinbob

No accessory terminal on the ignition switch either. Personally, I would just wire it direct with an inline fuse.

rjwhorse700

I dont have any of the original electrical components so I guess I can do my own thing. I did see a lighter in parts list. Number 154

Direct to the battery sounds good. I jus want to do the best for my old girl!

Racinbob

That would be fine. I prefer not to have extra wires connected directly to the battery so I would probably go to the other end of the cable. Just make sure you fuse it. If I remember correctly I came off the hot side of the solenoid on this one.

post-8408-0-24360800-1404404346_thumb.jp

rjwhorse700

Did u use a solenoid with 3 or 4 prongs or just to the starter solenoid?

Racinbob

Well, now you're asking an old guy to remember back 8-10 years when I restored that Commando :confusion-seeingstars: . I'm pretty sure I used the three terminal and came off that end of the battery cable. That tractor is up in Indiana now so I can't run out and check it.

rjwhorse700

They say its good for an "old guy" to exercise his brain evry once in awhile! My workhorse 700 is almost done with total restore. How much would it go for here in Indiana? I have pics in my profile

Racinbob

:) True, but I have to be careful not to over do it. I don't want to break me. As far as worth, it all depends on what somebody wants to pay for it. Indiana is blessed with a good supply of Wheel Horses compared to some other locations. That can work both ways. There's also more folks that know and want them so in an auction format it could bring more. generally it's not feasible to ship them and a local pick up is more likely. Down here there's not all that many who even know what a Wheel Horse is and that could work both ways as well. For example, I got my Surburban 400 on Ebay. It was just 15 miles from my house. I put a proxy bid in at a number that was higher than I should have paid but I wanted it bad and you just don't find them down here often. But, because of the lack of bidders, there was only 2 bids and i got it for a good price. I'm sure it it would have been located in your neck of the woods there would have been more bidders and the price would have been higher. But....if there was even one other bidder that wanted it bad down here the price could have skyrocketed because of the rarity in Florida. I hope that all makes sense :confusion-shrug: Watching Ebay it's crazy how the prices vary.

• Like 1

jdleach

Good points all Bob. I will add though, that even here in Indiana, people are forgetting about Wheel Horse. When I mention mine, pretty often I get a quizzical look, especially from younger folks, as they have no idea what I am talking about.

• Like 1

Racinbob

I hear you. That's a shame too. The younger generation lives in a throw away society. I would suspect it's only going to get worse in the future. Living just outside of South Bend for 45 years, the first time I climbed aboard a Wheel Horse was in 1960 when I was 5 years old. Over the years I toured the factory when it was on Ireland Road and saw the Wheel Horses in storage at the Studebaker Museum. They said they were going to put them on display but I don't know if they ever did. I talk to many folks down here and they just can't grasp the fact that a Wheel Horse is nothing like the big box junk. Not too long ago a guy was bragging to me that his big box toy lasted 9 years. It was almost like he was saying "will yours last 9 years". Ummmmm............maybe.

KC9KAS

Well, now you're asking an old guy to remember back 8-10 years when I restored that Commando :confusion-seeingstars: . I'm pretty sure I used the three terminal and came off that end of the battery cable. That tractor is up in Indiana now so I can't run out and check it.

If you come off the hot side of the solenoid, that is the same as going directly to the battery.

The other side of the solenoid is only energized (hot) when starting the tractor.

Racinbob

Exactly. That was the intent and accomplished without the extra wires connected to the battery terminals.

KC9KAS

Exactly. That was the intent and accomplished without the extra wires connected to the battery terminals.

OK, just didn't want someone to make this connection and think the cig lighter was "switched". It will be "hot" (play on words) all the time.

Did you say you fused yours?

Racinbob

Definitely fuse it. It does leave the lighter 'hot' at all times. Actually, that's how a lot of cars were years ago. A lighter only stays energized temporarily.