ricksrj58

lawn ranger resto and repower

ricksrj58

picked up a nice little ranger with minor engine problems mainly being a techy so i bought a predator for $98 bucks.fedex delivered it yesterday and i allready have it mounted on the tractor.i just need to figure out what type of bracket/frame to build so i can use the original fuel tank and position.

DSC01166_zpsa18e0c31.jpg

Edited by ricksrj58
  • Like 1

ricksrj58

got the tank frame fabbed up,it will be attached to the engine where the predators  tank mounted and welded to the frame.easy to remove and cleanup if want to go original again.

• Like 1

Pullstart

I've got the predator powering my 502 while I'm reworking the cast kohler in the garage.  although the harbor freight special runs so great, it won't allow me to fit the hood without major modification to the hood or belt guard... and the fact that this American made tractor is powered by an offshore mill makes me want to pull it as soon as I can.  so the hood sits on a shelf, hopefully only for another week or less.  I run the stock tank too, with the predator tank pulled.

ricksrj58

well the lawn ranger repower/respray is almost done.

DSC01186_zps5781bbcd.jpg

• Like 2

DAVE L

I put a predator on my Lawn Ranger also. It works remarkabely well! Can't believe it is a $100.00 engine.

If you search 1st in parade, you will see pictures. I changed engine pulley to a little smaller one since I

have larger tires. It will go about 5 mph max. It will lift the front end when pulling hard in 2nd gear. In other 

words......The predator has plenty power, and  Always starts first pull. I pull a little trailer with it. It works nice

for winding through the trees collecting firewood I cut up.

roscoemi

Did the same setup in P'Chops Ranger, works great and dead reliable so far. He rides the snot out of it, I change the oil every other week! I still have the tecky, there is a rumor that parts will be available again soon. 

Zeek

Keep us posted, I'm curious to see how those Predator motors hold up.  I know it's not for a hardcore resto, but if you wanna get something you can run, what the heck.

• Like 2

DAVE L

I have 3 predator 212 engines. one on log splitter, one on my WH, and a spare.

Only reason I purchased them is because of all the reviews I looked at. So far, I've

been very pleased. It will be fun to see how they last! If they don't, I will have waisted

$300.00 for three engines. Less than the price of one 5 hp Honda. If they last a few

years it will be great, just throw it away and get another. Some parts can be had on

feebay. Hi performance parts can be found on go cart sights. They are pushing some

crazy hp from these engines for go carts. So far, I've heard very little bad talk. Most,

bad talk comes from people who have never had one. Good luck with yours!

• Like 2

Wheel-N-It

I let one of those get away from me right before the Big Show because its really not practical for me to own one. But then after noticing at the show how cute they really are now I'm thinking I should have bought it.

I'm glad to see you are bringing that one back to life with a good engine. The clones are definetly up to snuff!

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Good to know there is a reasonable option out there...

to help keep these little :wh: 's alive.

The Ranger is coming along nicely Rick.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

ricksrj58

finished the lawn ranger and mowed the yard today.i had to rebuild the deck with all new bearings and seals and it works very nice.

all i need to do now is paint the front axle and wheels and put some new decals on it and i will have a nice little mowing machine.

DSC01217_zpsfc06d0cc.jpg