ricksrj58

416 hydro rebuild or part out?

ricksrj58

a coworker has a 416 hydro that made a knocking noise in the engine he took it to a shady mechainic-he was told it was too much work to repair it wasnt worth it.  he brought the tractor home it sat for 4 years with NO oil or plugs in it some mice made a home out of the engine compartment.  I've never work on a hydro tranny or an onan engine...how expensive might this be to rebuild-would it even be worth rebuilding-would it be cheaper for him to just replace the tractor??  Any advice or thoughts would be a big help... :deadhorse:  

Forest Road

As for the Onan. I'd use it for a boat anchor. The tranny if its sealed and full should be fine. I'd change the filter and oil.

Use a 12-16 hp kohler or whatever engine is available. Plenty of guys here have bought harbor freight Honda knockoff motors and enjoyed them. Certainly worth a shot.

ericj

you have to do a compression check to see what actually see what broke or didn't then decide if the motor is repairable the hydro should still be good. i just reread original post is the motor locked up or does it spin over. were in pa are you located might be able to help, or take it off your hands what ever you want to do. send me a pm

eric j 

ricksrj58

well he dropped it off at my house and did not take long to find out both rods are broken,the pistons moved freely with my fingertip and no noise when i spin the crank.looks like i just got a new horse for my stable. :)

• Like 1

Sparky

I vote you re-power it and not re-build the original motor.

Mike.........

richmondred01

225 hours. Drop it right in new coil, new starter runs perfect. Removed from a 416. Wiring harness attached plug it right up.

PM if interested.

post-8038-0-58303900-1404080052.jpg

ricksrj58

here is a pic of the tractor,just needs a good cleaning 

DSC01164_zps056805d7.jpg

• Like 1

Desko

I vote to replace the rods as that would be cheaper than a new engine. Mic everything and see if its within spec then rebuild.

• Like 1

546cowboy

Looks like an easy choice if richmondred01 is willing to make a trip worth your while. If yours has two broken rods that is not all you'll need. Last time I checked rods were about $80 ea. and I bet you'll need to at least have to turn that crank plus a full gasket set runs about $150. The costs just keep going up when you open an Onan.

Forest Road

X2 for 546Cowboy! It could easily run $500+ to rebuild an Onan.

Desko

Well if you want to get rid of the onan I'll take her off you hands lol

richmondred01

You can PM me for details

ricksrj58

i am debating on what to do with it as i have other projects to finish and start on.here is whats left of the rods.

DSC01192_zps928ee993.jpg

Desko

Should've asked earlier but is that one rod or 2 lol guess it doesn't matter lol.

Desko

Ohh figured it update this im the new owner as of August something lol the block was toasted no biggie i put an engine in that i was rebuilding put all new gaskets and bearings (thanks to boomers influence) and now it has a p218 onan and runs like a top i got it with 43.3 hours and now its up to 71.5 love it

boovuc

Sounds good, Desko. The tractor itself looked fine. Glad you repowered it!

Desko

Sounds good, Desko. The tractor itself looked fine. Glad you repowered it!

No so much a repower just a bigger onan as i love em briggs vanguards are expensive and i wanted to keep it somewhat original the wiring is like mint no burn or nothing clean white plastic im torn about selling if i will probably not i might give it away on the forum i dont see me needing several tractors my work horse with the p216 and 8 pinion diff and the D160 is all i need and the pictures dont do it justice it accutaly really nice clean and waxed

ericj

well if you want to give it away i'll take it off your hand, don't really need it but it would look good in my collection :ychain:  :laughing-rofl:

eric j

rustyoldjunk

The tractor looks like it was well worth taking care of the engine issues and I even see the hard to find cast iron front wheel weights !

Desko

The tractor looks like it was well worth taking care of the engine issues and I even see the hard to find cast iron front wheel weights

Those didnt come with the deal sadly lol

KyBlue

Another one lives on! :)

Desko

Yes save them when you can and i didnt think $200 was bad everything in the motor was usable other than block crank and rods which all of that other stuff i had so i pieced it together and went and haven't looked back othe f than the governor being wayyy out of adjustment but it got it were it needs to be after a little reading

KyBlue

That's great to hear! Learning is always a good thing!!!

Desko

Yea but like my dad say a little knowledge can be dangerous but learn all you can

KyBlue

There's a difference between Reading the first page of a Instruction booklet, and the whole thing...