Butch

Paint sprayer for wood restoration.

Butch

I'm restoring an 85 year old hutch for our future grand daughter. I have spray guns

for spraying my Wheelhorse. Can they be used to spray latex wood paint. I don't

wanna use a brush. I do have a Wagoner latex sprayer from years ago but it

sucked. I was hoping these guns I have would do the job. Anyone ever try it?

Thanks!!

Dkphillips

What kind of sprayers do you have. That will make a huge consideration whether or not you can spray latex. I have a very expensive Fuji HVLP sprayer that is not worth 2 cents at spraying latex paint. But it does an excellent job on thinned oil based paint. If you thin latex enough to spray it does not produce a good finish. At least that is my experience. I have a large commercial Wagner sprayer that sprays latex effortlessly but I would not want to spray furniture with it.

zieg72

If your spray gun has a 1.8 fluid nozzle or .070 (or larger) you should be fine if you reduce the latex paint a little.  Latex atomizes well but it is to thick to suck out of a siphon feed type spray gun not thinned.

Edited by zieg72

Butch

I've never used any of my guns. I noticed they do have different style nozzles. Biggest I have

is a 1.6 but I think I can get a 2.0 and a 2.2 nozzle. I thought of spray cans but if I can get a nice

finish with my guns I'd like to go that route. Using a brush of any kind is out of the question.

I gun is a Harbor Freight gun and the other 2 are Startingline guns.

Thanks.

zieg72

2.2 would be best, then you wouldn't have to thin the latex as much.

Butch

Thanks Zieg!!

zieg72

Sneak up on the reduction.  A little water goes a long way and it won't take much.  Latex paint are emulsions and the viscosity curve goes very quickly and breaks completely down.  Take a known amount of paint say 4 ounces in a Pyrex cup and start with a 1/4 ounce of water, stir and try.  The key is to get it to siphon enough paint to keep it wet without running it.  If it isn't thin enough it will come out as dry spray and it will look like sand paper.  If you go to far, no biggie add more virgin paint to thicken it up.

r356c

I spray painted a wood bunk bed frame for the grandkids with a small Wagner.

The latex paint layed down well with no runs and good coverage with little if any thinning if I recall.

The latex didn't stick worth a darn to the polyurethane paint that I was covering.

No peeling, but it was not very abrasion resistant.

The small Wagner was a pita to clean. Even after a thorough cleaning and oiling after that job, it didn't work when I pulled it out for another job a year or so later.

If I were tasked by she who must be obeyed to do that job again, I would use rattle cans and give it a good amount of cure time to let the VOC's evaporate before use.

Butch

Zieg I just bought a cheap gun on Ebay with a 2.5 mm nozzle.

Butch

r356c I considered going with Krylon paints because they have a lot

to offer but I really want to use a milk paint I've used before because

I like it's look.

can whlvr

I use this cheap sprayer for all my needs now,its used with a small compressor,it does a nice job and the left over paint(latex or oil)is simply capped with a mason jar lid,then it screws back on when needed again,and it use mason jars so I don't have to clean if I don't want too,and very easy to clean,not many parts actually touch the paint

010.jpg

shorts

GO and make a friend at the paint store, not a big box or chain hardware store but a store that sells to professional painters and have them guide and advise you. They will have access to and training from the paint and equipment manufacturers, if they advise spending more money than you want to spend on tools that you won't have future use for they can probably point you to a professional painter that might be able to help you.

You might also find helpful information/articles about finishing and refinishing in woodworking publications like Woodcraft or Fine Furniture.

Another thought, with the green revolution and EPA automotive finishes are headed away from solvent based paint systems and going to water based coatings, another reason to go to the paint suppliers.