Sign in to follow this  
Brrly1

56 + 57 rj's with a front axle weight?

Brrly1

Whats up every one? I had a great trip out to Pa. definitely alot of fun. Before I left I had a chance to look at and snag a couple of rjs. My question is has anyone ever seen a front weight that attaches to the front axle? I was thinking that Hammerhead posted something like this, I am curious as to what you guys think?

post-45-0-14728700-1403574465_thumb.jpg

post-45-0-50437300-1403574477_thumb.jpg

post-45-0-63519100-1403574494_thumb.jpg

post-45-0-99345000-1403574517_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

stevebo

Did you buy this tractor and weight ? IMO a must for these 35's as they really "push" when trying to turn. 

buckrancher

I have one john and yes hammerhead has one too

Brian

• Like 1

BPjunk

John,

I do believe that type was made for the early RJ's (55 to 57) after the inner hood type was too difficult to install / keep in place.

It was great to see you again at the show John.

Wild Bill

• Like 1

Brrly1

Stevebo, yes I bought the tractor, weight plus mower deck and snow blade with a 57 rj to boot. I almost walked across the way to talk with Charlie but I knew I had these sitting at home.

buckrancher

I think the number was #FW60 front weight

Brian

Edited by buckrancher

stevebo

John,

If you ever decide to reproduce that weight count me in for a few. Obviously if you decide to sell the one you have please let me know. Nice find for sure!

• Like 1

Hammerhead

Good find on the rare RJ58 Front Stud Weight John! I have a 1958 Factory Parts Manual that list's this as a Part Number 3492, FW-60 (= front weight 60 lbs). and the stud kit, Part Number 3493. It is referred to as a front stud weight, due to the small hooked studs that thread into the back of the weight and rest on the front axle beam. It doesn't attach to nothing, it just hangs on the studs on top of the front axle beam. I don't see any paperwork before or after 1958 and I think they didn't make them for very long. Mine is a NOS unit in the original box! It shows the makers name and address and where it was shipped to. They would fit on the 1955, 56 and 57's too, plus the RJ58 and RJ59's. As Bill stated, I also think they were made to replace the front weight that was mounted inside of the grill hood area, but I don't think they were made before 1958, but it is possible. Those front grill mounting type weights were made in 1955,56 and 57. I think they weighed 80 lbs. Here's some pics of mine.

061.jpg068.jpg055.jpg059-1.jpg057.jpg

• Like 6

Brrly1

Keith, I can definitely see where someone Not knowing what it is would Definitely scrap a piece that looks like this and weighs as much as it does. Just wondering if I should repop, maybe with putting Wheel Horse or maybe even Pond on it. Curious as to what others might think?

• Like 3

SPINJIM

I bought one of those weights from Rydog at last year's show.  I wasn't sure how to attach it, so thanks for the pictures.  I thought it needed a special bracket.  I'm going to put it on my Rj-58.

If you have the DVD that came with the book, Straight from the Horse's Mouth, there is a video of a round-hood being tested with the weight on the front.  They locked the steering wheel into a turn, tied the tractor to a tether, and had it going around in circles.

Jim

• Like 1

stevebo

I would repop as it was and nothing else on it. I will take two !!

Brrly1

It looks like I am going to repop. Taking the weight to the pattern maker, I don't believe it will take to long at all. I'll let you know what happens, as I move forward.

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Hopefully a few with Wheelhorse cast into them too.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

Brrly1

Well I've done a little more to the 56'. I am looking for a fuel tank for an rj. Pulled the plug to check for spark and everything is good. Talked with Clay and he confirmed the motor #'s for me. Need to finish the cleanup, find a tank and should be a runner. Good compression. Vin, this one is setup like the way that you show it. That and I guess I've got some leakage to clean also

post-45-0-24158400-1408121867_thumb.jpg

post-45-0-66803300-1408121882_thumb.jpg

post-45-0-56521000-1408121904_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

VinsRJ

Looks like you are almost there! If you just drop a cotter pin in both ends of the adjustment rod but don't bend them it makes it quicker to make adjustments if need be. Once all dialed in then bend them in place and ride away...

A vid if her running would be Sweet!

Edited by VinsRJ