Theroundhousernr

A Few Seasons Ahead but Couldnt Resist

Theroundhousernr

So one of the things that I have been searching for besides a loader, is a snow cab. After snow blowing this year and looking like frosty . Then watching horse fixer in his Tim the tool man Taylor snow chucker..... I knew I needed to have one. So , I searched everywhere and coming up empty, I finally struck gold at the show. :greetings-clappingyellow: I came up to the show early Saturday and sitting in one of the pavilions was a snow cab. I was surprised it had not been sucked up for the price. It was a little dirty/moldy. I also was unsure if it was missing any frame parts. The big problem is the missing door.

So tonight I drug out the power washer and mean green. I scrubbed away with a brush , rinsed and repeat. To my surprised , it came out looking like new. There are no rips and the vinyl is still very soft.

ugyveqyv.jpg

a5e8avas.jpg

I then moved to the frame. A few pieces are a little rusty but will clean up nice. I was missing two pieces. The support off the dash and the piece that goes from the inner foot rest to the inner windshield mount. So I started bending up some steal and got this far tonight. I think once painted , no one will know it was not original.

aheqanus.jpg

tu2u7u7y.jpg

aqa5eje4.jpg

y6abetam.jpg

So all in all , had fun for the few hours I was at the show. Got to meet up with Bill Jenkins for a little , and meet Matt with the hydro pedal. Very nice guy. Got a few things I needed. I put up a wanted add, I am hoping someone out there might have a left side door for sale. Maybe someone with a beat up cab but the door is savable. If not , I will try and make one but its not ideal. Anyone know if I can still buy a door?

PS , I would love to have a way to identify some of you guys at the show. I feel weird walking up and saying , Hey , is that you.... lol

Kyle

Edited by Theroundhousernr
  • Like 6

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

kyle, nice score. sorry I missed you at the show also.

Next year we all need to wear red top hats or something to identify us as red squares. lol

Glenn

Tankman

Family biz kept me away from the show and, I missed out on that snow cab! Lucky you!

PS. Thanks members who post pic's and videos!  The sons and grandsons'll love looking and watching the Horses and forum members!  :-)

Theroundhousernr

I called the cab company today. The women told me they no longer make my cab anymore and could only sell me material. I said, on your website you list a cab for the 300, 400, and 500 classic series. Do you still have that? She said yes but she does not know if the doors are the same.

So for all you wheel horse guru's. My cab Model number is P647CC02. On the original cab companies website , the cab number for the 300,400 and 500 classic series is 10280/ OEM P/N -79978. When I look up my cab number on Red Squares manuals , it says cab for 300, 400, and 500 series. So the big question is , does anyone know if these doors are the same?!  My gut tells me yes. I am more concerned if the frame work is the same. Not worried if one has a pocket or something like that....

Thanks Kyle

Theroundhousernr

OK, The company just got back to me. They are no longer making parts for that cab. The knew cabs they are making are redesigned with new hinges and latches. So I guess I am back to making them or finding used....

AMC RULES

Even if you have to wait until you find another frame...

in the mean time, should be easy to replicate the one you already have. 

• Like 1

Theroundhousernr

What do you mean wait!  Don't you know snow is coming!!! :ychain:

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Hey Kyle, My main goal at the Show was to get a cab for my 520.  I saw the cab you bought on Thur AM and it was the only one I could find on Thur.  So Fri AM I went to make an offer to buy it. The cab was there but no one was around, so I started looking again and found this one right across from the one with the missing door.   Bring on the blizzards.  We will be ready. :banana-skier:     :occasion-snowman:

post-7208-0-70030900-1403578584_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Theroundhousernr

Progress being made....

Today I bent up the frame pieces for the missing door on my cab. I am pretty impressed with the turn out. Last week I received the original material for the door and window from the cab company. Sometime this week I will be making a trip to my mothers to sew on the fabric.

What do you think so far

yqugunyt.jpg

mesa7aty.jpg

• Like 6

AMC RULES

That's what I'm talkin' about...

new door is looking great.   :icecream:

jdleach

Yep, door should look like original. 

Went and looked at the cabs on Original Cab Co. site. They show photos of a 3-500 WH with a sunshade. Looked real snazzy. Unfortunately, the don't list it in their customer price brochure.

AMC RULES

For summertime use...

just remove the vinyl sides, and leave your fiberglass top in place.

Virtually the same thing as their sunshade.    :handgestures-thumbsup:

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Nice job on the door. Can't wait to see it done.

Glenn

papaglide

Real nice topic. Great work on the door and make sure you post a pic when it's done. Also, a big thanks to Craig for posting the link to the cab company. One of those shades will look might fine on my 522xi.

• Like 1

smoreau

Pm Kelly. I think he has two doors for sale.

Theroundhousernr

Thanks everyone. :text-thankyouyellow: Sorry it took so long for the reply, I have been busy. I appreciate the feedback. It really wasn't that hard to make. Just measure twice and take your time. Its just 1/4" hot rolled steel. The original door is 1/4" for the main frame and 3/16" for the two horizontal supports but my local steel shop does not stock 3/16" hot rolled. I have found no reason to use the 3/16" and made it all from 1/4". It cost me a whopping 4 bucks for 20ft of it.

I used a cheapy harbor freight bar and rod bender. Oh and also one of these hytech gadgets.....

udajuvu9.jpg

Then welded it together. It is with in fractions of an inch off from the original.

The vinyl and window plastic was really cheap also. That being said, My new door will look just fine and I don't see the need to buy a used one. I could make 4 doors for the price of what I have seen doors selling for. Thanks for the suggestion to ask Kelly , I should have thought of that before this endeavor but I am having fun so no big deal....

Kyle

Ed Kennell

Looks great Kyle.....Nothing beats the satisfaction of doing it yourself.     :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Theroundhousernr

Progress update coming soon!

Theroundhousernr

Alright guys. Finally got my mother over to my house last night to work on the cab door. It took us about 2 1/2 hours but I think the result was well worth it. She had already premade a pattern so it was just cut and sew. She bought heavy sewing needles and outdoor poly thread. The Vinyl the cab company sells is really nice to work with. It does not have that sticky texture that tends to hang up on the sewing machine foot. Plus it matches color really nice. The original is a little darker but very close. Only issue we ran into was we had to remove the foot of the sewing machine and put it back on to get it over the round stock to sew the inside stiches. I think it came out great and my mother is great at what she does also, which helped. I guess I owe her one now. 

I told her to watch out. I am going to post this online and she might have more to do. lol :ychain:  She was excited to hear what you guys thought! 

Pictures next!

• Like 1

Theroundhousernr

1ac05b2d1b46bef0f30fa22c02112fba.jpg

8286155e6f26cba683fe5e129719c66e.jpg

f4d20909d779d101a79bfbaea5aa8f0f.jpg

c7c000b58296ea4f16e3274a4a630054.jpg

Trimming off excess thread.

fce80f7c863520a54e5dab336b3064a6.jpg

Finished door on right. Original on left.

cd7cb19572ba81f316d849c8e304de22.jpg

• Like 6

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

That looks GREAT, what a good job.

Glenn

• Like 2

Sparky

Looks perfect!! She did great!

Mike..........

• Like 2

Theroundhousernr

Here are some better pictures in the daylight. The blue on the new door is tape I have to rip off yet. Also the black binding will need to be added. Very happy with it. Thanks guys

8043c6b0a315fd35589f62d9d85c18d9.jpg

aaf251096ceb9362b8812c1ae22ad625.jpg

d601bfa83b60891abb3a381ebc84edd8.jpg

• Like 2

Geno

Wow, mom to the rescue!  :text-+1:   What would she charge to do cab parts, there may be a business brewing there!  :text-woo:

• Like 1