AMC RULES

FEL Thoughts

AMC RULES

This may have been asked before, but...

if you had your druthers... :eusa-think: 

which would you rather have your FEL mounted on...

an eight speed, or hydro tractor...and why?  

Please to consider, both tractors run flawlessly too.   :thanks: 

seuadr

hydro - not just because i have one, but what you'd be doing mostly with a FEL is going to be a lot of back and forth.. a lever or even better a foot pedal would make that much smoother.

just my 2 cents.

• Like 2

cheesegrader

Hydro, with Matt's foot pedal, 

Loader controls on the left, spinner knob on the right side of the steering wheel.

wallfish

I prefer the 8 speed, probably because that's what I started with. I find the hydros are kind of herky jerky when going back and forth quickly. Maybe it's just my 418-C??? Plus mine doesn't have a foot pedal which would be mandatory for finessing it into tight places. It's just a matter of preference for which tractor YOU are more comfortable with.

squonk

Elvis is a different animal but I wish it was Hydro.

alswagg

Hydro so you can mount a power steering unit on it. 

• Like 1

MalMac

I myself prefer the 8 speed. No worries on overheating the transmission. I am not sure but I thought a cooling fan kit was offered for the hydro years ago.

meadowfield

I'd be happy with just the FEL :D

RMCIII

"Chees" must be a "lefty", reverse what he said for me...... Copy the comment from "Meadow". I'd be happy with just the FEL.

Rob

• Like 1

AMC RULES

A foot pedal kit would be great...

but I don't think Matt's kits work on the older Sustrand hydros.

Forest Road

Mount it on an Xi. You won't be disappointed!

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Wondering if anyone has a pict to share of an ARC fel set up on it's storage stands? 

the_nite_owl

A foot pedal kit would be great...

but I don't think Matt's kits work on the older Sustrand hydros.

I just converted my D-160 to a foot pedal. Not a hard conversion if you have a bit of welding skill.

It is easy to reach the linkage so it is not that complex an assembly to build and I retained the handle control as well.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

I just converted my D-160 to a foot pedal. Not a hard conversion if you have a bit of welding skill.

It is easy to reach the linkage so it is not that complex an assembly to build and I retained the handle control as well.

Good tip, any picts of your modifications share here? 

pfrederi

Here are my cheap homemade stands.Make sure that the 2x4 is long enough to allow the turning brake pedal to pass under the 1/2" rod.  After the bucket is flat on the ground and you have removed the mounting bolts and hydro lines put the rod into the tube on the loader frame with the 2x4s angled.  The stand on the tractor and lift up on the cross bar.  The 2x4s will swing down to vertical and you can roll the tractor back out.

post-1023-0-78140100-1403188531_thumb.jp

post-1023-0-49020600-1403188551_thumb.jp

• Like 1

the_nite_owl

Good tip, any picts of your modifications share here? 

I do not have pictures of the completed assembly yet. I have been working on trying to get the FEL working, the paint finished and the new decals on but I will put together pictures of the foot pedal assembly soon and post them.

I have not yet built in a spring centering mechanism which I intend to do but have not had time.

I may have to follow pfrederi's example here and make my own stands. This FEL is a nuisance to mount/dismount on my own and it scratches up the paint when I do. If the lift arms only cleared the wheels it would be easy.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Looks like it works perfectly Paul...

some really good tips there.   :thanks:

over60pirate

While looking for a loader for my 414-8, I found  Ford LGT 165 with a Ark loader. It has foor pedals, which are great.

The hydro on the Ford groans a lot under load, which makes me nervous, but have heard a lot of them do. The fluid is clean, so holding my breath.

I really can't imagine mounting and unmounting the loader to use. I use mine for small jobs, andwouldn't be worth the trouble to swap it. Glad I have the 414-8 for mower and other uses, with a winch mount on front and back.

FYI, the WH is much easier to work on.

post-6550-0-85563300-1403997679_thumb.jp

post-6550-0-38956200-1403997733.jpg

• Like 2

pfrederi

I doubt that Ford made their own hydro units.  is it an Eaton or a Sundstrand???

tomtractor

The ford has an eaton 11.  I am thinking about getting a ford 165 - are you happy with it?  Any things to watch out for?  

over60pirate

Im happy with the Ford LGT 165, except for the fact that the hydro groans a lot under load. I think I would rather have a gear trans, like my WH 414-8

My Ford is a "closed side" model. I would rather have an open side model.  On mime there is a sheet metal box, shroud between the motor and grill. You can't even see the muffler.

I've heard steering box play can be a problem, and getting the box out is no picnic. Mine is ok. 

Nathanielperz

This may have been asked before, but...

if you had your druthers... :eusa-think: 

which would you rather have your FEL mounted on...

an eight speed, or hydro tractor...and why?  

Please to consider, both tractors run flawlessly too.   :thanks: 

You know Craig... you sure do have alot of Wheel Horses...  Im not telling you to get rid of any of them but i would sure like another *hint hint* *wink wink*  Hahaha just kidding

AMC RULES

PM sent Nate.

over60pirate

As far as hydro or gear goes, my Ford LGT165/loader, has a hydro, with foot control, and it's real easy and fast to operate. I using the loader in a small area, I think a 1 hour job would take an extra 10 or 15 minutes, with a gear transmission. 

Ken B

If it were me and the loader wasn't yet mounted on a tractor I'd want it on a Hydro with some ponies under the hood, and I'd want an Eaton 1100 not a Sunstrand. I had an Economy gear drive tractor with a loader and it sure would have been nicer if it were a hydro. It seems yours is already mounted to a tractor with a Sunstrand. In that case I'd just roll with it... I'd like to find another loader someday, it sure did make life easier! At the end of the day I think it all comes down to how much you use the loader. If you used it all day you might get tired of "gear jammin"