Crow Horse

B-80 Throttle/Govenor Hookup....?

Crow Horse

Does anyone have any pics of the proper connection points.  I just replaced the K181 with another of unknown vintage/heritage.  The governor is a bit different than the old one and I'm stumped.

I did take pics prior to the swap but only of the wiring. Now, I'm kicking myself for not taking pics of the cable routing and    connection points. Any help out there?

Did the throttle cable route under the motor?

:scratchead:

post-1576-0-72203300-1403120747_thumb.jp

post-1576-0-14078200-1403120706_thumb.jp

Racinbob

I've got some pics that should help. PM me with your email addy. I'll send then as a word doc. attachment. I can't get them to post here.

wallfish

You can reposition that arm to run the cable from the top or bottom. Disc with holes rotates CCW to open throttle.

post-658-0-05765300-1403128308.jpg

Crow Horse

Thanks guys!  I adjusted the govenor and installed the throttle cable but now have such a short throw on the throttle lever on the dash.  This is really frustrating.....

Racinbob

I've seen that happen but I don't recall what the fix was. You might check out the manual and make sure the governor is set properly.

Crow Horse

I'm going back to Ground Zero here.  Took it all apart (external parts) and cleaned/painted them.  What baffles me is the pin. Is it to function as a stop?  The Kohler instructions say to remove it but doesn't say to reinstall it.  I've also read that it is needed.  Quite the quandary.  I'm also perplexed as to what the correct orientation of the arm should be as I believe that will dictate the cable routing.  Any thoughts or ideas?

Racinbob

I think you're headed in the right direction. When you put it back together set the governor per the manual. You're correct on the orientation of the arm. The cable on the tractor in the pics I sent you runs around the left side of the tractor. I didn't want it shooting off to the right and doing a complete u-turn. Of course my left/right is as you're sitting on the seat and not looking at it from the front.

Crow Horse

I think I got it sorted out.  What worked for my situation was this.  I removed and cleaned the external gov. components.  Reinstalled and adjusted according to Kohler.  What I discovered by looking at a spare throttle linkage is that there were 2 clamps to secure the cable housing: one on the gov. arm and one I located on the side of the block.  My original cable didn't have a second clamp.  That's probably why it gave me problems since I've had it.  Now the throttle lever has full throw and it seems like all is good. I'll put up pics tomorrow.

Thanks for everyone's help.  It's so nice to be able to wheel around the property with her. A good friend of mine, whose property I take care of year round went out and found an older Craftsman tractor with a deck and dropped it off with me so it would buy me some time to get the B-80 up and running.  I put a set of AG's on it and it allowed me to mow the properties.  First hand I now know that the Wheel Horse compared to the Craftsman is like comparing an M1 Abrams tank to a Yugo......

• Like 1