kudzu3

B 80 restoration

kudzu3

Folks, I have been slowly, patiently and very unsurely working on my B 80 restoration since about October last, and with the help of many here, have finally got to the assembly part of this mess :roll: . I have been kinda jumping around on the site here with so many questions that I have decided that maybe it'd be best if I just started here and hung around the restoration area. This is my first, and most likely, will be my last restoration. No good place to work, time and expense have been more of a burden than expected. The engine has been re built, the transmission has been torn apart and repaired (twice), with the amazing help and knowledge of stevasaurus and others. Everything has been completely disassembled, cleaned, blasted, painted and now I am in the process of trying to figure out where and how all this stuff fits together :eek: . Anyone planning a restoration, TAKE A LOT OF DETAILED PICTURES! I took none and am now paying for it :angry-nono: . I will be asking some question and hopefully, if I can figure out how, be posting pictures of my progress. My first questions; 1. Is it okay to paint the regulator fins? Mine looks so bad, it just won't clean up. 2.does anyone have a pic of the clutch/parking brake installed that could be posted? As always, your help, advice and criticism is appreciated. :bow-blue:

Martin

i would mask off everything except the fins on the regulator and lightly glass bead the fins to clean them up, scotchbrite would be another way. I'm not sure how bad the fins are as i don't have a pic to look at, but I've cleaned up some using this process.

as far as the clutch/brake goes, do you need pics in the middle of the hood stand, brake drum side, belt side, or all?

kudzu3

Thanks Martin, I have tried scotch guard on the regulator, it just doesn't clean it well enough. I will bead it if I can find someone with a cabinet. Seems that I've seen some painted somewhere but maybe not. I really need pics of the middle of the hood stand, concerning the clutch/brake, but any and all pics are welcome :) . I thought I'd remember how all this stuff fits, but my 66 year old memory seems to be lacking :eusa-think: . Right now, I have the rolling frame/ lower steering assembled, and will install the dash and upper steering tomorrow if all goes well. I know pictures help and I'll post some as soon as I find out how. Thanks

r356c

"Is it okay to paint the regulator fins?"

Function wise for them being able to dissipate the heat from the electronic parts inside? No problem at all.

I would not recommend plastikote dip, but the cooling ability of the fins won't notice a layer of paint.

• Like 1

Martin

Right now I don't have one apart enough for many pics. If you go through the 416 and c125 threads of mine you might find enough details in the pics. The links to them are in my sig below....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kudzu3

Thanks r356c, I will paint the fins a bright metallic and see what happens. Martin, I've checked the links you suggested, just can't find enough detail but I thank you for the info. Got the dash, upper steering on today. Am well pleased so far. Also got all the electrical cleaned up real nice and as soon as I get a harness made, will start the wiring. If anyone has any pics of assembled electrical, I'd sure appreciate it. I think I can figure it out, but pics are good :)

Wishin4a416

I taped off the back of my regulator and sand blasted it on low pressure and then hit with a wire wheel. I don't have any pics of the brake assembly but if you go to Toro site and type in your model number, they have very detailed prints.

post-8484-0-59184800-1403135439.jpg

Edited by Wishin4a416

kudzu3

Thanks wishin, I will check that out. Where can I find the rubber wiring plenum grommet (?) in the lower dash? I have searched several parts sites but guess I need a part number. Thanks

Wishin4a416

Thanks wishin, I will check that out. Where can I find the rubber wiring plenum grommet (?) in the lower dash? I have searched several parts sites but guess I need a part number. Thanks

I would ask in the wanted section in the classifieds here. Im sure someone can help you out.

r356c

Kudzu3,

Click this for a link into the Toro parts and assembly drawings for the B-80.

• Like 1

kudzu3

Thanks for all the great assistance. A few months ago, I asked for help in arranging the under hood stuff and you folks responded with some great pictures, now I'm afraid I can't find them :roll: . I sure hate to ask this, but...could someone post some B 80 under hood pics...please? I need wiring and just basically, how it all goes together. Thanks and I'll try to do better in the future. How do you remove the handles from the cables at the dash without damage? Mine seem to be on there permanently and I need to remove them for dash panel restoration. Thanks

Edited by kudzu3

Racinbob

Usually you can just pull them off. I've heated them up a bit with hot water to help out. If you happen to break them Glen Pettit has great replacements. You may need to use a little rubber glue to hold them back on. I used epoxy on the Suburban 400 handles I got from Glen but that model doesn't require you to remove the knob to disassemble things.

Martin

Use the nail puller end of a large wrecking bar. Put some protection of some sort, rag, cloth etc so you don't damage the dash and something flat like a piece of metal or similar between the bar and knob and gently pry them off. If the knob and dash are suitably protected you will get them off easy without damaging anything. You need to pry on the small part of the knob that surrounds the lever, as close as you can to where the lever is inserted into the knob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kudzu3

Thanks folks, the hot water did the trick :) . I soaked them in near boiling water for about a minute and they both pulled right off. I was ready to use the pry bar method but it wasn't necessary. Thanks again for sharing your experience. :bow-blue:

Racinbob

Glad it worked for you. I always try the method that's the on the parts involved increasing the size of the 'hammer' if it fights back.