dtoeppe85

Lawn Ranger Restoration

dtoeppe85

New member, fist time posting...

I am about to begin (again) restoring a 66 or 67 lawn ranger. There's, what I think, a good story behind the tractor. My grandfather traded a VW for the tractor back in the 60's, after my father begged him to, so he could make some money mowing and plowing in the neighborhood. I'm not exactly sure if the tractor was new or a few years old when they got it. After a few years, and my dad moving on from that phase, my grandfather continued to use the tractor for several years around his yard until finally selling it to a family friend. In the mid to late 90's (I was about 10-12 years old), the family friend was in poor health and was getting rid of everything he owned and came across the tractor, knew it originally belonged to my family and contacted us to see if we wanted it back. So we took it and me and my father began restoring it. Things happened and the restoration got put on hold. Today the tractor sits, partially restored, in my fathers shed, buried under several layers of junk and other projects. I plan on soon digging it out, and continuing the restoration. The tractor has the mower deck, plow and wheel chains, all of which are in fairly good condition.

Anyways, just thought I'd share my story. Hopefully, most of my questions have already been answered, but if not, I know exactly where to go.

Any advice on the project would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 2

Jake Kuhn

:WRS:  Any pictures of the ranger?

dtoeppe85

No pictures as of now. Looking back, I really wish we would have taken some before and progress pictures. Once I start again, I will be sure to take some along the way.

SousaKerry

:WRS:

Always nice to see another Michigan Wheel Horse fan.

AMC RULES

Great :wh: story...   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

please keep us updated here on  :rs:

Wishin4a416

Welcome and Good Luck with your project!!

KC9KAS

We love pictures!!!!

chazm

WELCOME TO  :rs:

KATO

:text-welcomewave: to :rs: Have fun with your restore !!

dtoeppe85

I finally got the ranger at my place now. Just going through some things tonight and cutout in the fender does not fit around the panels (the notches in the fender is not wide enough). Could someone with a ranger measure the opening of the fender, or the width of the panels and belt guard? I would like both measurements if possible, the distance for both panels and then the wider opening that includes the belt guard.

SousaKerry

Your belt guard may not be installed properly.  The fender pans I think were unique to the rangers and the slots should all be the same width.  I know mine fits pretty darn tight and is a real pain in the neck to remove.  My perfectly painted belt guard has more then a few scratches from struggling to get everything lined up right.

Pictures would help us diagnose your exact problem :text-worthless:

dtoeppe85

Well, I've had the tractor for a few weeks now. I can already tell it is going to be a slow process, but I'm in no hurry. It looks like most of the parts are there, but its hard to tell. Back in the mid 90s, we made a trip to Eastern Pennsylvania to a junkyard to pick up some parts, including a fender and hood, due to the last guy "modifying" the originals. I don't recall why, but the side panels were remade. It appears that I have the original engine, which is in pieces, but all of the major components appear to be in good condition. Something must not be right though, as at some point, my father purchased a new Tecumseh short block for it.

My goal is to have all of the panels completed by winter and rebuild the engine in the basement when it's too cold to be in the garage.

dtoeppe85

Just a few pictures as it sits right now.

post-13303-0-68093200-1405465080_thumb.j

post-13303-0-70926000-1405465091_thumb.j

post-13303-0-07534000-1405465103_thumb.j

• Like 2

KATO

AWESOME :handgestures-thumbupright:

groundhog47

:greetings-clappingorange: Great looking job so far, One of these days :handgestures-fingerscrossed: will get going on my 66LR (big wheel morph)

dtoeppe85

So it's been a while since I've posted an update...I got it running and driving last summer/fall, only to find out that third gear was slipping. This spring I dug in to the trans and replaced the hi/2nd gear, along with some bearings and seals. Finally got everything back together and it runs great. Only thing left now is the wiring. Also, the deck and blade need to be refinished, but I'm in no hurry as I don't plan on using them.

Here are a few pictures of how it sits today...

lr_3.thumb.jpg.9f79cd78bc70a15f8355f519blr_4.thumb.jpg.38d2cf9d1013d6eb7ae333cf7lr_2.thumb.jpg.b0542898cddcfc90023e50924

Edited by dtoeppe85
  • Like 4

Terry M

Very Nice!!! ...just curious as to where you found the seat cover?   or was that already with the ranger before the restoration??

either way.....very nice 68' Lawn Ranger:)

Kelsey

" ........That's a beautiful thing."

dtoeppe85

Thanks!

Terry - I believe the seat was purchased at a lawn tractor junk yard in western PA in the mid 1990's. The original seat was in really bad shape and mostly just foam covered in duct tape. My dad and I started the restoration in the mid 90's when I was 10-12ish and drove out to the junk yard to pick up some parts, including the seat. It's not perfect, as there is a tear at the front left of the bottom part, but still a lot better than what was there.

• Like 1