Njdusty

Wheel horse fel

Njdusty

Anyone familiar with the fel on 314-8 tractor. I think it is made by Johnson Co. It is wheelhorsegardentractor part no. 8335. Serial no. 97-40elo1-0413.

rexman72

kwik way also made them for wheelhorse also

• Like 1

KC9KAS

:WRS: , and :wwp:

And ARK made FEL's for Wheel Horse.

• Like 1

boovuc

I never knew Johnson to make a loader specific to Wheelhorse except maybe very early 60's tractors. If it's on a 314-8 Speed, it was modified to fit that tractor.

Johnson Loaders were on a lot of Cub Cadets. Perhaps looking on a cub forum and a picture of one might look like the one your looking at. Also, under the topic "Calling All Loaders" in this section, we have a member here who has a Johnson Loader on his tractor with a picture. take a look at it and if it's a match, give him a PM to see if he has info on it.

Good Luck!

Edited by boovuc
  • Like 1

the_nite_owl

I have a Johnson Work Horse Model 10 on my D-160.  I do not have a lot of details on it but I can show you some pictures.

There are a number of different models of Johnson loaders.  The Model 10 is most easily recognized because it uses a single hydraulic cylinder to operate the bucket tilt rather than one on each side.

The first picture below is one I found online.  I do not know who it belongs to but it shows the layout of the FEL.

This model has the controls on the right, no cross bar across the top of the tractor and the single hydraulic cylinder in the center with a mechanism that extends the amount of throw that one cylinder provides.  If this does not match your FEL then you have a different model.post-12697-0-72103300-1403109694_thumb.j

The second picture is of my D-160 with the FEL on.  I am still working on the partial restore but she is getting close to complete.

post-12697-0-23600000-1400763387_thumb.j

Not a great shot of the FEL but you can see the controls and how it mounts under the tractor.

Essentially it has a bar that goes under the tractor and bolts into place at the same place the foot support bracket is bolted on.  Two arms angle inward towards the front of the tractor to bolt to the sides below the hood.

My hydraulic pump is currently mounted where the grill should be.  I am going to move it to below the tractor with a longer belt to the PTO so the grill can go back on.  This is how it was mounted when I got it.

As was stated previously in the thread these Johnson Workhorse FELs were not designed specifically for Wheel Horse but were designed to be easily adaptible to different tractors.  They did come with options for the mounting frames for some Cub models and I have a manual for the FEL related to a Cub tractor specifically.

• Like 2

gwest_ca

Anyone familiar with the fel on 314-8 tractor. I think it is made by Johnson Co. It is wheelhorsegardentractor part no. 8335. Serial no. 97-40elo1-0413.

The model number is 97-40FL01 and a 1979 model. 

The 40 is the bucket width.

The 0413 is likely the serial number. Have seen serials 5024 and 5187 in the past.

Model number 07-40FL01 was sold 1980-1982.

Garry

• Like 1

boovuc

That makes the loader on the 314- 8 Speed an ARK Manufacturing Company loader. (Made by Ark for Wheelhorse). There are manuals for that loader in the manuals section.

• Like 1

Racinbob

I think the guy who engineered the rear counterweight on that 1054 forgot about something. :roll::)

Njdusty

I finally took a picture of my 314-8 with the ARK loader. Everything works pretty well except the control valve for the bucket and lift. Some mechanics that saw it say that it needs a new control valve due to the fact that the bucket drops slowly under load. Does anyone agree with this theory ? I have enclosed a pic of the control valve assy. ARK part number is 22001. Anyone know where I can buy one of these or a close equal. Thanks for all your help so far.

post-13285-0-36049700-1403616391_thumb.j

post-13285-0-91824500-1403616449_thumb.j

Racinbob

Looks great! I really don't know much about those valves but I'm thinking it could be rebuilt. A seal leaking? If you want to get a new one www.surpluscenter.com has all sorts of them and I would bet one of them would work.

the_nite_owl

I would think it is most likely worn o-rings and you could replace them yourself. It could be a leak anywhere in the system causing it to slowly drop not just in the control valves. They are pretty straightforward designs and unless there was a lot of foreign material in there causing wear it probably only needs new seals.

leeave96

Looks great!

I especially like the canopy!

boovuc

Agree with niteowl. "Most" of the time, slow dropping of the arms or bucket and in my case, both, are seals leaking in the cylinders and not the control valve. The Arks are old so you can expect your cylinders probably need rebuilt. I am doing all four of mine through an Amish gentleman locally. (He can do it better, quicker and in the long run......cheaper than if I ordered the parts and tried it).

I did one on an old log splitter and I had an hour or two just trying to figure out how the darn thing came apart!  :)

PS............Very nice FEL/Tractor!

Edited by boovuc

Njdusty

thanks for the info. Do you know where you can get parts for these ? I am also going to replace the operating valves because when I took it to a mechanic, he said that it is most likely to be "blow By" from wear in the sliding valves.He said that one test would be to cap off the lines going to the control valve and see if there is still movement in the cylinders. My instinct says to rebuild all of the components.

Wheel Horse Fan

I had my Ark loader cylinders rebuilt by Hights Farm Equipment, they're located on rt 33 in Hightstown.  Not that close to you but it's an option. 

• Like 1

Njdusty

Thanks for that. Isn't it Harter Equipment on Rt 33 in Hights town ? I know where they are , about 25 miles from me. Do you mind telleng me about how much they charged per cylinder? I have 4 cylinders on my fel aal the same with 1" diameter rods and stroke of 17".

over60pirate

I was looking for a loader for my 414-8 and found a Ford LGT 165, with a Ark loader.

post-6550-0-47170300-1403997096_thumb.jp

• Like 1

brandonozz

Njdusty,

Here is a link showing how to get my cylinders apart. 

Yours may or may not be the same as mine as other members in the post reported theirs came apart differently than mine.  Once apart they are fairly straight forward in rebuilding.  The first one I rebuilt I used standard O rings like the ones that I removed.  The last one I built I used a shaft seal designed for cylinders and both seem to work well so far.