alswagg

D series differential "pop" or "slip"

alswagg

Ok, now on the D Back hoe/Loader, I was pushing a heavy load with the bucket down.  I felt a "pop" or a slippage in the axle assy.  This happened a few times this weekend.  No noise in the axle when in forward or reverse when under a normal load. If I lift the rear, and spin one tire, no noise the opposite rotates the other direction as normal.  Do you think I may have damaged a gear and can't feel it?  Broke a spider bolt?  The tractor is operating fine, just under a heavy push going forward, there seems to be a pop or slippage in the drivetrain.  What do you guys think?    Thanks  Al

pfrederi

Jack up the rear end open the push valve and try rotating the tires in the same direction simultaneously  Feel anything???

alswagg

I did not notice any rough spot or really an sign of a chipped tooth or such.  When I lift the rear to dig with the back hoe many times the rear tires slowly creep one direction or the other.  I am very suspicious of a broken bolt in the rear differential.  Al

pfrederi

It is not a very difficult job to pull the hydro motor off the transaxle.An inspection mirror can fit in and let you look around for any stray pieces of differential bolt...

alswagg

Thanks I believe that will be in order   Al

boovuc

I have a small telescopic mirror with a magnetic end for doing just what you are about to do. I have used it a few times over the past 35 years and it's come in handy!