shallowwatersailor

"The Further I Go, Another 'Beehind' I Got"

shallowwatersailor

Well, I did it again! Only this time I can justify a portion of it. While looking for another David Bradley, I found this nice 196? Gravely Model L 6.6 hp with a 26" snow cannon, 30" bushhog, gear reduction hubs, and dual wheel adapters 1/2 hour away. The tag/plate is gone so I can only guesstimate the year. I bought it mainly for the bushhog as I really don't need another snowthrower. I already have backup for the backup! :) It will mow an embankment that I used to use my trim mower or weed trimmer. After my foot surgery, it has been hard to do so this should make easy work of that. :auto-dirtbike:

These walk beehinds can take up to a 60 degree bank with the Gravely T-Head engine. The blade is 3/8" steel on the bushhog. I am the third owner and the 1st owner painted it grey for some reason. In the next few weeks I hope to return it to the proper colors. I also need to find an electric start for it as my arm is tired already.

post-3066-0-66444500-1402779957_thumb.jppost-3066-0-22542600-1402779971_thumb.jppost-3066-0-82988200-1402780184_thumb.jp

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 4

squonk

If you get any snow, that snow cannon will throw it over the power lines. My neighbor when I grew up had one. It was the " Dog Eater' style and he would throw the snow on his sidewalk across the main highway into  the neighbor's yard!  :)  If I had room. I'd have one for the back up /big honkin storm blower. Hook up the DB sulky and have at the enbankment!  :auto-swerve: Is that a single speed or 2 spd? 

Edited by squonk

shallowwatersailor

It is a two speed transmission with the "fast" gearing. The gear reduction hubs slow it down to a workable walk with the mower deck I'm told. It would have been nice to have gotten one with the Swiftamatic transmission as they are a bit more versatile.

squonk

Next to the horses, I think old gravely's are the coolest. They have a sound all their own. I had an old rope start single speed monster with a dozer blade. Single speed so you needed running shoes. It was a bear to start and when running at night the big muffler glowed. I got rid of it because I was afraid of it getting away from me and killing somebody or crushing a car!

Kennedy

Thats interesting I just saw almost that same set up today here in Ohio but original colors and minus the dual wheels. I used to have a slightly newer model a 1974 commercial 10. I had the 42" finish mower, snow blade, dual wheels, steering sulky, the 30" bush hog and the widow maker a 26" horizontal mounted circular saw blade. I still miss that machine.

Mark

CasualObserver

These walk beehinds can take up to a 60 degree bank with the Gravely T-Head engine. 

Yeah, one of their old sales pitches was something about if a man can stand on it, Gravely can cut it.  They even had an axle extension kit for widening your stance for stability.

I have a in-law that collects Gravely... and man, some of the attachments for those model L tractors are crazy.  Funny part is they  The most vicious one I think he has is the chainsaw. I think it's about a 24" or so bar, sticks straight out the front and can be mounted horizontally to cut things down, then turned vertically to slice them up!

Ariens tried to revive the Gravely two wheeler a few years ago with the Gravely Rapid models, but they were reportedly discontinued for slow/lacking sales.  Probably because they were priced around $10K if I remember right. But in true old quality standards, the new models would accept any Gravely L attachments from clear back to the 1940s.

shallowwatersailor

Yeah, one of their old sales pitches was something about if a man can stand on it, Gravely can cut it.  They even had an axle extension kit for widening your stance for stability.

I have a in-law that collects Gravely... and man, some of the attachments for those model L tractors are crazy.  Funny part is they  The most vicious one I think he has is the chainsaw. I think it's about a 24" or so bar, sticks straight out the front and can be mounted horizontally to cut things down, then turned vertically to slice them up!

Ariens tried to revive the Gravely two wheeler a few years ago with the Gravely Rapid models, but they were reportedly discontinued for slow/lacking sales.  Probably because they were priced around $10K if I remember right. But in true old quality standards, the new models would accept any Gravely L attachments from clear back to the 1940s.

Some of the Gravely dealers still have the anniversary model from 2009 for $6K. It has chrome fittings just like the WH 420SE - but no leather seat!

AMC RULES

Yep, one sitting at my local Toro dealer marked down to 5k now.    :icecream:

Incredibly nice machine, probably too pretty for most to ever use though.   

shallowwatersailor

Just a short video of my "beehind." Actually this was the first time that I got it running. It won't pull-start at this point so I used an aux starter (1/2" SLOW speed drill.) This is top speed with the gear reduction hubs.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Moves like it has remote control.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

shallowwatersailor

I almost called it my "remote!" No "Safeties" on these tractors. If you look close, the fuel tank is dented which means that someone backed it up - and it didn't stop! No seat switch either. :eusa-think: 

I found an article on how a fellow fabricated a forward-reverse control similar to the later 5000 series. It is logical as you push forward to go forward, etc. Right now it is the opposite,and they manufactured them for decades like this. But I bought it as a worker for a job that the Wheel Horses can't do. Plus it will be fun to spruce up.