Sign in to follow this  
Nick

Testing dual tires

Nick

While Bill was testing engines I had a chance to test a couple sets of old Gum Dipped Firestone 5-12 duals on the Load Ranger. I like the look of the skid steer tires but wanted to compare traction and stability of the thinner bar tread duals.

Kind of surprised me but didnt notice all that much difference in traction. The big difference, as expected, was stability. Had to load some railroad ties and concrete working from a fair sized hill. The tractor was much more stable with the duals mounted, dont think I would have ever worked on the steep part of the hill without the duals.

Still not sure if I'll leave the duals on or not. :banghead:

Video link

railties002.jpg

railties005_0001.jpg

duals002.jpg

duals004.jpg

Gave the 5x10 trailer a test also. :USA:

concrete2.jpg

Stigian

I say keep em on Nick :banghead:

They look good, make your WH more stable and are narrower than your scraper which is handy :thumbs:

i found that the duels on my 312-8 made quite a lot of difference to traction, in fact i wish i had put them on when Garry and I moved the shed again.

Yep, keeping the duels on gets my vote :USA: :omg:

CasualObserver

Nick, I like the looks of those duals. Some tractors look too wide with them, but I think they look about perfect on there. The 5 inchers are a a great choice for that size machine. If you keep them, how much pitch forward does it give? Hard to tell from your pictures. Would you add a little larger tires or wheels to the front as well to level it out?

Nick

The 20-8-10 skid loader tire diameters are around 18.5" with the old 5-12 Firestones coming up a little more than an inch in diameter over that. The rear end height must have only went up a little over 1/2". The dual wheels increase in stability/safety felt nice so I think they will stay on for a while.

KyBlue

I think it looks great with the duals ... and ya just had to ride a bit of a wheelie at the end of ur video didnt ya???

Nice job.. im amazed how useful that thing appears to be!