papasan1

520H hydro problem

papasan1

I have tried to follow the suggestions given regarding the violent jerking on my 520.  From looking underneath, it appears there is play int the motion lever wher it connrcts to the linkage.  Does this require a replacement, is it a one piece unit, is one available and are there any instructions to remove and replace?  A lot of questions, I kmow< but I'm not sure where to start.  The plates on top of the hydro seem ok to me, so I assume the jerking is coming from this play.

Thanks

bubbacola

Did you check to see if frame is cracked at trans mount... i had the jecky trans found the trans mount was crack all the way across so when you moved it would flex which cause the linkage to jeck which makes it jeck again and so on . 

sorry jerky not jecky

• Like 1

papasan1

I will check that out, it's pretty hard to see up in there.

Thanks

papasan1

Well I don't see any cracks. I followed the manual to adjust the motion lever and readjust neutral. Now I have to push the l err very forward in the neutral slot to get it to start. I am starting to think I need to find someone local who can get it right.

boovuc

Hi Papasan,

Sounds frustrating so far. The trouble with a local guy is, unless he worked on these WH tractors, he isn't going to know anymore than you do already. From what you have written about the jerking and after the linkage is properly adjusted your range of forward and reverse are impaired, it sounds like you have issues on the Cam and on the linkage. Sounds like the previous owner may have ignored issues and just kept using it. I had a C-120 that had a slightly bent linkage that made everything not work properly. Only a slight bend can knock the range out of forward and reverse. Since forward is used more than reverse, that is what is usually effected.

I don't know if you have done it yet but I would remove all the linkage and inspect. You will want to look at the motion control lever as well to make sure it isn't worn or bent at the linkage connections.

papasan1

Can the can be worn out? I noticed the neutral adj.stop the wheels as long as the wrench is on the bolt. Remove the wrench and the adj.changes. I'll look at the linkage again also. Will it be obvious if the linkage is bent?

Thanks

papasan1

Best I can tell, tyhe cam or cam plate could be worn.  Ordered new parts, will update when they arrive and are installed.

Thanks again

bubbacola

I didnt see the crack in mine until i was getting ready to change trans. I had put new cam and cam plate played around with linkage change oil and filter. I got a replacement trans to put in. It was when i jacked it up when i found the crack. right under the metal flat looks like 1 inch maybe 1/8 thick under the bottom two bolts. with the dirt under there it was hard to see but jacking it up under frame to remove trans i notice the bolts moving in mounting plate.. found trans moved about 3/8 of an inch.  so i removed the flat piece of steel made a angle iron replacment and welded it in place.. no more jerking I still use the same trans and by going to Moble 1 this trans is smooth as butter.  I'm not saying this is what wrong with your just what was wrong with mine.   Thank Bernie

papasan1

Hey Bernie,

Thanks for your input. I am hoping that the can and plate will fix mine. If not, I will look harder for a crack...I'll post when I get the parts installed.

Frank

papasan1

New can and can plate but still jerking. I'm about ready to sell the thing!!!

I will feel better about it tomorrow.