Sign in to follow this  
tdearstine

857 transmission locked up ?

tdearstine

I was using my 857 the other nite and all of a sudden the drive belt started smoking and the tractor lurched, after taking the cover off, the belt was melted and the drive pulley was stuck, it wouldnt turn, the tractor rolls in nuetral and the gears shift, is the trans toast ? i am an experianced auto tech and overhaul manual transmissions so my question is it worth overhauling or just find another one? i would like to put a 6 speed in it, what ones will fit the 857 chassis ? any help would be greatly appreciated. Tom

sorekiwi

The trans on my Lawn Ranger was completely locked up when I got it. After draining about 2 quarts of water out of it (the oil had long since floated out through the axle seals!) I filled it up with ATF, and left it sitting in the bed of my truck with no straps to restrain it. After driving around for 3 days, with the tractor rocking backwards and forwards, it all of a sudden freed up. (Bang into the back of the cab!)

I pulled the thing apart and was amazed at how good the internals were. I ended up not even putting bearings in it.

Moral of the story - dont give up, pull it apart and find out whats wrong with it. Bearings are cheap (except for the ball bearings on the diff) and chances are it will be rebuildable....

It may be worth trying to free it up before you pull it apart - they're a ***** to get apart when they're still locked up.

kpinnc

i would like to put a 6 speed in it, what ones will fit the 857 chassis ?

All 8 speeds will fit. You just wanna make sure you use a pulley on the tranny that is the same size as the one on the 4 speed. Those pulleys are not interchangable between a 4 and 8, so if you use a bigger one (I think the 857 had a fairly small pulley?), you'll end up with a tractor that will pull Brontosaurus teeth, but it will be very slow. Plus, you'd need a longer drive belt.

And, I agree with Mike. Your tranny is probably fixable. It just may need some work...

Kevin

Duff

you'll end up with a tractor that will pull Brontosaurus teeth, but it will be very slow.

Now THAT's funny, right there! :USA::omg::thumbs:

Duff :banghead: