chipwitch

Need help with a belt for tiller

chipwitch

I've been searching the web for the last couple hours and just not finding the right information.  There seems to be much confusion about which belt to use on tiller attachments.  It doesn't help when the tractor or tiller model numbers are omitted.  Maybe all the belts are the same regardless of tiller model or tractor?  Seems highly unlikely.  Being new to this stuff, there's so much I don't know.

I have a 1980 C-125. Kohler 12hp, 8-speed.  The tiller is a 07-36TL01.  The guy I bought the tiller off of said it needs a 138" belt.  Seems a lot of people have found them to be too tight.  Is it a 4L profile?  139" outside?  Just want to be sure before I order.

daveoman1966

that tiller wants belt # 110265 for $75 at dealers.  It is 141" long.

An OLDER style tiller takes belt 1599 and it is either 138 or 139" long, depending upon the website.

yngliver

I just wrote a post about this that got lost because of a server connection problem.

Anyways, for it is worth in your situation here is my solution.  I have a 312-H and needed the #110265, it is $75.  I also read a lot and wound up ordering an a-139 v-belt from amazon for about $15 with shipping.  I used it all day sunday and tilled about 200 square feet.  It did slip off once, but I figure for about 2 hours of use one slip is acceptable.  The tiller had great power and I am more than happy with it.

I don't know enough about the differences between my tractor and yours, but I hope that this helps.

chipwitch

Thanks for the info.  Theres one problem that just occurred to me... the guy I bought the tractor from is a fabricator and he made the idler.  I guess that changes everything.  He told me 138", but when I noticed a discrepancy, I thought I'd ask for confirmation.

groundhog47

:twocents-02cents: If you have a trailer, can load up rig with tiller attached and have a good supplier :handgestures-fingerscrossed: , some will fit a belt correctly if you bring in. I got one to short on my on and supplier (different) wouldn't take back. Out $$$ and had to go size larger.

Oh yes, :text-welcomewave:  to :rs: and "Have a great day every Day!"

Edited by groundhog47

CasualObserver

Thanks for the info.  Theres one problem that just occurred to me... the guy I bought the tractor from is a fabricator and he made the idler.  I guess that changes everything.  He told me 138", but when I noticed a discrepancy, I thought I'd ask for confirmation.

Well... when it comes to the 138 thing and your home fabbed idler.... it doesn't help that an A138 belt is 140"!  So was he telling you a 138 belt or a 138 inch belt? The devil's in the details!  

There are a lot of posts here about tiller belts... and I'd guess you've read several of them.  Your best bet is to get the tiller mounted and take it in. Proper fit will yield the best results. Let the dealer try out the different lengths for you... just be prepared to pay the dealer price for the belt. (as mentioned... it's right around $75)  They're worth it if you take care of it in the off season.(don't just leave it sit outside... take it off, roll it up and protect it from direct sunlight)  Personally, I wouldn't use anything but an OEM tiller belt. They're a weird HA spec similar to an A belt, but with more tensile strength or something due to the shock they take.  Also...they're straight rubber... not fabric or kevlar covered.  You want that direct grip power in the PTO sheave.

Also a note about tiller use from my personal experience.... lock the rear hitch. Either with a pin (if your hitch has the holes for it) or tighten down the bolt/nuts on the keeper tabs.  It's such a royal pain and will make you want to throw things when one of the keepers opens up and the tiller falls out of half the hitch in the middle of a pass though the garden!

• Like 1

chipwitch

Thanks Gerry.  Trailer isn't an option at this point.

Do you know which profile it is? B?

<edit> Began composing this post before the previous post was posted.... HA profile.  Got it. :)

Edited by chipwitch

chipwitch

OUCH!  Thanks for the heads up Jason!

swarfeater

one problem with matching belts for older equipment is this,, I do not know when it happened, but manufacturers changed the belt designations. my machinist handbook(about 35 years old) shows when measuring belts, to measure on a fixture, because belts were dimentioned by pitch length. this was a measurement somewhere in the upper 2/3 area of the belt cross section. now the length is the outside length that can be measured by a tape. however this may only be for the 1/2 in belts for small hp usage. b belts and up may still go by the old setup. I do not know if this is so or not, but I ran in to this a lot when retro fitting older equipment. I finally bought a long (200 in or so) belt and cut it. I use this as a template by fitting it to whatever, pulling it tight and marking it. measure with a tape measure and a perfect fit, except sometimes a half hour of break in and its too long,but its usually pretty accurate if you get it tight. used that belt hundreds of times.

• Like 1