IndianaMatt

KT17

IndianaMatt

post-10168-0-17230300-1400894908.jpgpost-10168-0-03655600-1400894922.jpgOK I am about to save a 417-8 and the engine is in need of a lot of TLC. I hear these are very expensive to work on. I know nothing about the twins and Im a little scared but also excited. If need I plan to overhaul it and do it right. Are there any performance goodies for them? Are parts readily availible through Kohler? Is this worth my time and effort?

smoreau

Not hard to rebuild. Not many parts available from kohler though. Lots of old stock on eBay, down load the Manuel from kohler web site or from the the Manuel section here. Lots of good used pats available too.

Edited by smoreau
  • Like 1

km3h

Go to YouTube. You will find many videos showing you exactly how to rebuild this engine. It is not brain surgery. Parts are readily available. As you take it apart, take a lot of photos. Then take it to a machine shop, have them check the cylinders and crankshaft before you buy any parts.

Edited by km3h
  • Like 2

pfrederi

As long as it is a Series II  (Spec # greater than 24300) it is a solid engine and worth the TLC

pacer

As long as it is a Series II  (Spec # greater than 24300) it is a solid engine and worth the TLC

OK, so what if its NOT a series ll, (I have 2 of the series KT17-l and both are in pretty good condition) are there any 'tricks' to keep them going? Slight overfill of the crankcase seems a sensible step to use -- Oh, and then dont forget theres that 'trick'  "Only use tractor on level ground!!"

While on this subject: How long did Kohler produce the KTl before they decided there was indeed a problem with the use of the motor on a grade and added the pressurized crankcase - a couple years? What was the recommended 'do not exceed' angle/grade of the series I?

AMC RULES

post-3498-0-37190000-1401029164_thumb.jp

• Like 2

pfrederi

I have a series one with well over 2000 hours. (Came out of my brother JD 317.  He maintained it well and it was used on a relatively level lot.  Smokes on startup but clears up after a minute or two.  But when it dies i wouldn't spend the time/$$ on a overhaul.