kudzu3

Need a shift stop spring

kudzu3

Well, I went and done it again, broke something trying to fix something. Putting the fork back into my uni drive, I bent the shift stop spring, and in the process of trying to get it out, broke it, two coils off the end. I've searched the parts places and can't find even a reference to it, does anyone have a source for this part? I am thinking of trying to stretch it if I can't find one. Opinions, experiences? :bow-blue: 1974 B 80, 4 speed uni-drive.  Any help/advise is appreciated.

daveoman1966

Looks like part # 106030..  On-line for 2 bux or so.  Parts tree has a listing for them.

stevasaurus

I am thinking you are talking the detente spring, between the fork shafts.  You want the right spring.  If this is the case...TORO should still have these.  Let me know if I am not thinking correctly.  Sounds like Dave is on top of it.  :)

kudzu3

Hi Steve, yes I'm talking about the détente spring, the trans manual refers to it as the "shift stop spring". Yep, looks like Dave has come to the rescue :) . I did check parts tree but guess I overlooked or maybe just didn't know what I was looking for :eusa-think: . If you remember, I was working on this thing several months ago and you helped me out a bunch. The ball bearings were rusty and the fork shaft pitted. I thought I had it fixed, worked well on the bench but when I got it on the tractor, it wouldn't go into reverse with the shifter. I was not happy. I took it back down and did a little more polishing, and was putting it back when this spring got bent. FYI, I was using a 1/4 inch drill bit to push the spring in while I installed the fork, DON'T DO THAT! :angry-nono: Use something small such as a punch, or small hex wrench, as you have suggested. If the diameter of the punch (drill bit) is too large, it doesn't allow the fork to press down below the ball, and messes everything up (I hope this makes some kind of sense). Dave, thanks a bunch!

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Yep, messed up a spring myself once...did not break it and was able to bend it back and re-install (ball was in the bottom of the fork shaft hole)...lucky.  You are correct...about a 1/8" Allen wrench allows you to slip the fork shaft passed the detente ball enough to hold it and still get the wrench out.  It is probably the hardest part of rebuilding one of these transmissions.  I would think you can still get the part from TORO...thinking that spring is pretty much the same part as all the other Wheel Horse Transmissions.  :)  You have become one of those guys that can help others with these transmissions Grasshopper.  :):bow-blue:

kudzu3

I ordered one from parts tree as dave suggested, they are available. I'm flattered that you think I would know enough to help others, I've learned only from getting in there and figuring it out and from making stupid mistakes. Without your videos and advise, I would probably have hauled this thing to the salvage yard long ago. Thanks.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

I've learned only from getting in there and figuring it out and from making stupid mistakes. (quote from above)

The only difference with me...I've opened up a few more transmissions.  Guess what...no 2 are a like when it comes to what is going on with them.  :)  You have done well...it does take some guts to give it a shot and go for it.  I think you would not be afraid to open the next one that comes along.  Thumbs up mate.  :)

I just have to ask this...If it all went well, would you have learned as much??  I took my first one apart upside down and I put it back together twice. :bow-blue::)

kudzu3

Nope, I would not have learned as much, but I would have spent much less time and money doing it:)Thanks.

• Like 1

shorts

only twice?

• Like 1

can whlvr

just to add,toro definatly still has them,when a diff bolt nut came off in on of my 414,s in the fall I opened her up,it cracked a cluster gear and when I reassembled I messed up the spring,so I ordered a few from my dealer,and some spare 1/4 ball bearings too

kudzu3

If anyone is interested, got the spring, put it all together with only two bolts, stuck the shifter in there, tried it all on the bench, seems to work fine :) . Tomorrow I'll put the gasket on and assemble it all, touch up the paint and stick it back on the tractor. Wish me well and thanks all for the help :bow-blue:

• Like 1