JUSS10

So I'm starting a build project. I'm not going to go in to too much detail but I will post a screen shot of the parts I have designed and need to fabricate for this to hopefully work. Due to my crazy life right now (just bought my first house) this may be a slow build but we will see, it would be quite useful around the new house. The design is scaled down from an aftermarket kit that was available for big tractors back in the 50s-60s (I think) with a few tweaks ....That's all for now. will post more as I get further on it  :)

Justin

post-3029-0-66384300-1400526608_thumb.jp

Edited by JUSS10

C-101plowerpower

i can see something that can be used to tension tracks, are you making a halftrack? :eusa-think:  :)

Koen

Sparky

Definitely look like wheelie-bars :ychain:  .

Mike..........

JUSS10

Well Koen figured it out. It spawned out of a late night conversation at work when a co worker sent me this photo

1951-Ford-8N-with-Dearborn-Snowplow.jpg

I got to thinking, that could be fun to build, I have an older wheel horse sitting around that needs some attention. So I started doing some research on the tracks and found the original installation manual with exploded views of the parts.

bombardiertracks_zps95ac78bb.jpg

I did a little reverse engineering and came up with the arms that I showed in the first post. They are quite similar to the bombardier tracks that are shown on the ford tractor above. They mounted on the axle which then had arms with a tensioner on the end to add some tension to the tracks. I was thinking of fitting the tracks over the existing tires just like the ford ones but knew I would need to build custom tracks then. Instead, I happened across a snowmobile track that was on CL for sale that the seller had cut in to a length. turns out it will work perfect if I rip it in half. The teeth on the bottom fall perfectly inside of a 6" wide wheel (standard rear wheel for the older round hoods) get a similar width wheel for the front and now there is an idler. Quite perfect actually. I plan to weld high tensile steel bars between the beads of the rear wheel for driving the track. Below is a picture of the track with the wheels in it. I obviously need to split it in half yet. 

IMG_3698_zpsb234d014.jpg

• Like 1

C-101plowerpower

Lookin good already, this is a build i'm going to follow

Koen

send from the tractor seat with tapatalk

Lars

Here is a pict of a horse that was for sale for a wile back it is really cool.. wish it had been closer to me...

CA7F765E-F0A5-43ED-ACD8-405275F44F81.jpg

Edited by Lars
  • Like 1

JUSS10

Darn, and I thought I was the first to do it on a wheel horse. oh well, it will still be a fun build. I like how that one uses tracks just like the ford pictured above. I thought about doing that but it would be a lot of flat stock steel and I'm trying to do this on a budget. So far I have a little gas money and "pocket change" in to it! :)

Edited by JUSS10
  • Like 1

JUSS10

well I haven't made a whole lot of progress. Like stated at the beginning, this will be a slower project. 

I got the pair of tubes that will mount to the axle cut and drilled a swell as the piece that slides on them that the front idler wheel will go on. I also have some tubing cut and turned for the pivots and the axle brackets are drawn out on the steel, they just need to get cut and drilled. 

Slow but steady its moving along

photo3_zpsaf1367a7.jpg

C-101plowerpower

any progress on this one?

Koen

JUSS10

slow but yes. I did get the axle mounts done. and fitted them up. for now the tractor is tucked in the shed. I haven't worked on it for a few weeks sadly. Too many other home projects of higher importance right now... :/

• Like 1

meadowfield

Look forward to the build!!

AMC RULES

Snow is coming.   :teasing-poke: 

• Like 1

JUSS10

I have a couple other builds going on right now... a mud room, spare bedroom, second bathroom... And lets just say the wife prefers those builds over this build...

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Her priorities are right...  :romance-grouphug: 

you'll need the extra rooms when you're both snowed in together.   :) 

• Like 1

Callen

How low will it set to the ground since you aren't using any rear tires on the rims inside the track?