kudzu3

Question on assembly order

kudzu3

I have the rolling frame assembled on my b 80 restoration and was wondering about the order of assembly. I don't want to have to take anything apart to do something that I forgot to do, so was wondering if I might use the experience of the experts. I'm thinking I should place the engine next and then start the tower but just not sure. Is there an assembly order that I should follow? Thanks.

Martin

i would do the tower (hood stand?) after you get it to a complete rolling frame,

something like this....

frame (rolling) with lower steering gear etc....

hood stand, dash and upper steering shaft

all wiring, everything behind and around hoostand, choke, throttle cables, battery box, etc

all rear stuff, seat pan frame, seat pan, etc

engine, finish off electrical, gas lines etc

hood, seat and all decals last........

theres probably a lot i missed but most of the parts that are in those general areas would be included at the time you are working on that area.

• Like 2

Wishin4a416

And put the drive belt on before you put the belt guard on. Even if you don't have the motor on. Just tie wire it to the front of the guard somewhere.

kudzu3

Thanks folks, I'll certainly follow your directions. I've ran into some problems that really have me upset. I had some transaxle problems when I first started this project (see b 80 transaxle under transmissions) and thought I had the problem worked out (with much help from steveasaurus), but now that everything is in place and I've spent much time touching up the bolt heads and lug bolts, getting everything just perfect, the blamed thing won't go into reverse. It worked fine with a large screwdriver on the work bench but now that it is installed, it just won't go. When I started, it wouldn't go into 1st or reverse, so at least I've made some progress. I'm going to have to take it back apart and separate the trans and start again. I know what the problem is, but I just hate to start again. I am truly disgusted. Anybody want to buy a b 80?

Martin

you say you already know why its not getting reverse so please don't take this the wrong way when i ask, are you turning or at least moving the input shaft a little when it fails to go into reverse? sometimes the gears need a little repositioning to get them to mesh........

just thought id throw that out there.....

kudzu3

Thanks Martin, I never take advise the wrong way, I appreciate any well meaning advise or criticism. :bow-blue:  Yea, I've turned the input shaft many times and put the tractor in gear and rolled it back and forth. All the other gears work fine but the fork just won't move to the reverse position. The problem is the grooves on the fork that the ball bearings fall into to lock it into gear, were rusted and pitted when I originally took it apart. The grooves also had a small ridge build up from use (or storage) with a trans full of water, oil and rust. I honed and polished the grooves and replaced the ball bearings and, as I said, it worked well on the bench. I think I just need to do a little more de burring and buffing on the reverse groove, I should've done a better job the first time. I just hate so bad to have to take it back off and separate it after spending so much time painting and touching up and trying to make everything perfect. Thanks again for the help.

Martin

ok. i understand where you are at. one thing, after 'deburring' is done, if you have a wire wheel on a bench grinder or even a 4 incher on a hand held, give the area a good burnishing to smooth those areas out.

but, sometimes rust and wear takes a hold too much and you need to source some replacement newer or 'seasoned' parts...........

km3h

Make sure that you put the decal on the dash before you insert the steering column.  

kudzu3

Thanks km3h, good advise, but... my wheel and dash haven't been separated. The wheel was "crushed" on at the factory and will not come off, so I'm having to do it all (steering wheel and dash) as one piece. The decals are on the back burner right now, I have so many other things that need to be done. I will address that when all assembly is done. Thanks for the advise, I will remember.

• Like 1