JC 1965

Can't get brake drum off Help !!

JC 1965

Just noticed the brake shaft seal on my 1991 312-8 is leaking. I purchased the seal ( # 100441 ) but now I can't get the brake drum ( cylinder ) off. I can remove the bolt but the drum is frozen in place. I tried using a puller but it won't budge.  Anyone have this problem before ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

whfan74

Have you put heat to it yet? Get her nice and hot while the puller is on it to keep some pressure on the drum itself.

Kelly

I had one I had to heat over and over again with a big 3 jaw puller on it, in the end I trashed the bearing in the case with to much heat. 

JC 1965

I had thought about using heat but was afraid I would damage bearing or other seals. I guess I will have to try the heat cause it isn't coming off with the puller. Thanks guys for your help.   :thumbs2:

Racinbob

There have been times when I've had to soak the part for days. I use PB Blaster. The most recent was a flywheel on a K91. After a couple of weeks of soaking (I was in no hurry) it finally popped off. In your case, fill the set screw hole up with the penetrate too and just leave it  while.

• Like 1

DanPatch

I also use the soak it for days method. I use liquid wrench and I apply just enough heat (to the part I want off) to get the liquid wrench to bubble. I have a wheel hub that that I am trying to get off I fill the set screw hole, heat the hub until the liquid bubbles. I have done this three times this week. the level of liquid in the hole is finely starting to drop when it sits overnight. I am using a big puller but I don't want to brake the hub. The other hub came off with this same method.  

JC 1965

Thanks guys, I'll try the soaking method also.    :thumbs2:

Lane Ranger

Seaform's  Deep Creep is another good soaking product.  Sometimes works faster than PB Blaster for me!

Edited by Lane Ranger

meadowfield

I've started using the welder on things like this - brake drums, hubs, trackrod ends.

Just crank it up and weld to a piece you either don't care about or can grind off. It's faster and easier than trying to apply heat from a blow torch. It's amazing how quick things fall off :D

JC 1965

Thanks for all the help guys. I still haven't got the brake drum off yet but If I get lucky and it comes off, should I put any kind of lubricant on the seal ( grease etc. ) before I install it. This will be my first seal replacement attempt.    :hide:

Racinbob

I just put a light film of oil on it. Make sure the shaft doesn't have any nicks or burrs on it. Pay close attention to the keyway slot. You don't want to damage the seal as you slide it on. A 3/4" washer and a short piece of pipe will help you tap the seal in place.

JC 1965

I just put a light film of oil on it. Make sure the shaft doesn't have any nicks or burrs on it. Pay close attention to the keyway slot. You don't want to damage the seal as you slide it on. A 3/4" washer and a short piece of pipe will help you tap the seal in place.

Great info, thank you !!