Eric857

New gardener I have questions!!!!

Eric857

Hello all, I am picking up a cultivator and an earth plow this weekend and I am thinking of making a vegetable garden at my house. And i am all new at this stuff. I see you guys use tillers a lot, unfortunately I do not have a tiller nor have I seen one to go with my 857 so I would like to know how I would go about making said garden without a tiller and with just a plow and a cultivator... Some other basic information about how to use a plow and the purpose it serves and the same for the cultivator that would be great. Unfortunately the younger generation like myself knows nothing so I figure I can ask some of you guys who have done this before or who have family members that have done this before.. Thanks a lot

doc724

Eric

The moldboard plow is used to turn over the earth.  Make your first furrow.  Then go back to the start of the first furrow and put your right tires into the furrow, drop the plow and make the next furrow.  Repeat until all the soil is turned over.  The next task is to take a disc harrow and break up the clods of earth.  If you don't have a harrow, a pitch fork will have to do.  One the soil is prepared, then you can plant.  The cultivator is basically a tool to weed between the rows of plants and loosen the soil between the rows of plants.  It only works when the plants are small or the rows are wide.  Otherwise, use a hoe.  Don't expect a lot from your first garden unless it was previously planted last year.  I used a moldboard plow for many years with great success (after the first year).  The disc harrow was basically useless, not enough weight unless I had one of the kids stand on it.  I now have a tiller.

P.S. When you are plowing, keep your hand on the lift lever at all times.  If the plow gets stuck on a root or rock, the front of the tractor will come off the ground real quick!

Eric857

Okay thanks for the info, does anyone know where I may have good luck finding a disc harrow for cheap?