wfrpalm

Wheel A Matic question

wfrpalm

Should I use the throttle or the transmission to control the tractors speed? I have been leaving the throttle all the way out and trying to move the lever to control the the speed of the tractor but it is touchy and I can't get it to move smoothly. The tractor is a 875 Wheel A Matic.

KC9KAS

I just finished mowing my yard with my 875, and I run the throttle almost wide open and adjust the speed with the motion control lever.

I have read other posts and other forums, and from what I see, this is the correct method.

squonk

Sounds like you have a trans problem

Kelly

The trans needs to be run pretty much at full engine speed, for the pump to work properly, the early gydros, can be very touchy, my 1075 was a pain to keep at a steady speed. 

Martin

when the direction control lever and all the associated parts are working how they should be, they control the trans smoothly.

when you have loose or worn out pivot points/bushings and the cam block on the hydro pump isn't working smoothly the movement will be sudden and jerky. 

time spent here will reward you with a nice operating shifter and smooth driving tractor. of course the trans has to be in half decent condition as well.

i had the same problems with Kent's trans on his 875, but we went through it and got everything working smooth and now i really enjoy seat time on that 875, such an awesome driver.....

wfrpalm

Thanks for the replies, I'll go over everything and make sure things are working right.

squonk

Make sure the frame isn't cracked where the trans bolts to it also. That can cause linkage/alignment problems.

wfrpalm

I was able to work on the 875 today ( it is about a hour away) and I found the adjustment screws for friction on the direction lever are bottomed out and there is very little friction, any ideas on how to correct this? I tried mowing while holding the lever but everytime I hit a bump it caused a drastic change in speed or direction and made it impossible. I would appreiate any suggestions. Thanks.

smoreau

I was able to work on the 875 today ( it is about a hour away) and I found the adjustment screws for friction on the direction lever are bottomed out and there is very little friction, any ideas on how to correct this? I tried mowing while holding the lever but everytime I hit a bump it caused a drastic change in speed or direction and made it impossible. I would appreiate any suggestions. Thanks.

Common problem on this tractor. I finally switched out the motion controls with a 69 charger with the friction motion control and know it is a very pleasant ride with the motion control staying put.

wfrpalm

Common problem on this tractor. I finally switched out the motion controls with a 69 charger with the friction motion control and know it is a very pleasant ride with the motion control staying put.

I wasn't able to look closely to see what was wrong so would you be able to tell me what is causing this problem. What is differant with the Chargers setup that is better? Right now I can only start the 875 and go short distances and I really want to use the tractor to mow some grass.

smoreau

The newer charger tractors from 68-9 have a spring loaded clutch set up inside the motion control that keeps the lever from drifting in rather direction

wfrpalm

I cut two rubber strips from a bicycle inner tube and stretched them over the metal pieces that press against the nylon block that the lever moves and now the lever stays in position. I was able to ride the tractor around for 10 or 15 minutes and even cut some grass.

• Like 2

AMC RULES

:handgestures-thumbsup:

:wwp: