Jman7290

C81, K181 won't rev as high as it use to

Jman7290

When I open to full throttle it seems like it's only running at half throttle now. Could this be do to a dirty main jet? Any other ideas?

slammer302

Is the throttle cable out of adjustment I've had a couple over the years not be opening the carb all the way even though the throttle lever is all the way up

47JDG

As slammer302 suggested, your throttle cable might be out of adjustment. Look at your cable on the carb and make sure its opening the butterfly on the carb as much as it should be when you move your throttle all the way up. If it isn't, its a very simple fix. If it is then you probably do have a dirty carb issue. I am guessing you have a issue with a throttle cable hold down tab that's allowing it to slip and not hold it in place when you throttle up.

Edited by 47JDG

Fordiesel69

Your throttle cable probably slipped where it mounts over by the governor. 

Jman7290

The throttle is opening all the way up. I am going to pull the carb off and clean it and see what happens!

Fordiesel69

Could you post a recording?  I am not understanding when you say it is "opening all the way" yet in the first post you say "running at half thorttle now".

The 8HP has the ability in my opinion to slip more so than a 10+ HP just because of the way it mounts and clamps.  All mine have done this over the years.  The other thing is the engine might be running like crap, and the throttle may very well be wide open.  Is it running smooth and not smoking black / grey?  Have you tried to adjust the main / idle jet per spec? 

Jman7290

I cleaned the carb, pulled out the needles and cleaned. I purchased a carburetor rebuild kit and installed it. It would not start at all after that. I set the low and high speed jet needles to spec, checked the points gap and valve operation. I found that it had a sporadic spark. I switched the coil with the one off of my C160 and it runs great now. Thanks for your help and suggestions. Now I got two running horses and one to go!