jonw440

93 314-8 Clutch sticking

jonw440

When I let put the clutch pedal, the tractor either doesnt move or moves very slow. I have to pull back on the pedal to fully get the tractor moving.

Weak spring? The belt is new as of 3 years ago. Maybe 10 hours on it. I only use this tractor for rototilling in the spring.

MalMac

More than likely the clutch dampener is sticking. it's a shock absorber looking plunger that keeps you from letting the clutch out to quick. you either need to replace it with a new one, They are quite expensive. The best way is to just put the old style clutch return spring that Wheel Horse used for years. Your tractor probably still has the holes for the spring on it. The absorber was put on as a safety devise to keep you from letting out on the clutch too quick and doing damage to tractor or popping wheelies and loosing control of the tractor. They are very famous for sticking and not letting the clutch out all the way.

Racinbob

What MalMac said. I quickly converted mine to just the spring. I don't know if it was normal but mine had a delay before the tractor started moving. It drove me nuts.

doc724

You don't even have to "convert it"  The damper is a gas strut (like on your minivan lift gate and likely now leaks) and is on the right side, the spring goes on the left side.  Just install the spring and leave the damper in place-save your self some work.

Racinbob

Very true about 'converting' it. My 2005 already had a factory return spring and the damper was just that, a damper. It doesn't have any extension or retraction force. It is designed to just dampen the rate of the clutch engagement being handled by the spring. I just removed the damper. I think your 1993 is set up different and the 'damper' is a strut like Don said and actually does the work engaging the clutch. You don't have a spring like I do. I'd say try just adding the spring and see how it does and if you're happy with it. Personally I would remove the strut as well.

Edited by Racinbob

MalMac

Sometimes those dampers will get so dry that they will not slide at all. If that is the case you will need to remove it. I call those damper pistons, Lawyer struts. Somebody way up the head honcho line decide they needed to try and make releasing the clutch idiot proof. So lets put a damper on it to save are butt's from being drug into court because some idiot was out trying to do wheelies and ran over there wifes flower garden and took out the clothes line and into the side of house. I suppose their are those out there that really need it. If that's the case should they really be on a piece of equipment in the first place?

Edited by MalMac