Sign in to follow this  
groundhog47

Needle Bearing Discussion

groundhog47

In the transmissions most of the needle bearings are M or B-###, ect. If the needle bearing has thesame dimensions what are ramifications of going from a regular  to large roller/needle, ie, B-1012 vs BH-1012. It seems as if larger roller/needle would have more endurance, but have more of the work load were as  the regular shares more load. Hardness of rolling shaft might be a point of contention. May I have some thoughts on this, and yes I know: "You should buy just what they specified". Toro prices are just to the stratosphere with my budget. Thanks for any positive input :handgestures-thumbup:    

pfrederi

Attached photo is of 2 different axle bearing i have found in WHs.  Is teh one on the right the large roller type you are talking about?  I posted this picture a long time ago asking if anyone had experiences as to which was better...never got an answer.  I get all my bearings from EB Atmus.  Fair prices reasonable shipping (fast) and name brands.  Motion industries is good also

post-1023-0-58386500-1399754632.jpg

Edited by pfrederi

stevasaurus

:eusa-think:   I'm going to sleep on this one...my first thought is price for the factory and who knew they would last 50/60 years.  Off the top, I would think both bearings would work.  Still want to sleep on this.  Thanks for the picture pfrederi.  Are the prices the same??? :)

buckrancher

I buy all my bearing through Kamen bearing the last time I bought I got enough for three transmissions all the needle bearings and it was less than $70.00

Martin

i came across the different styles when rebuilding the 416-8 trans. the caged bearing (on the right of the pic above) is way more expensive, $25 compared to $8. heres my take on it when rebuilding the 8 speed for my 416....

Edited by Martin

groundhog47

i came across the different styles when rebuilding the 416-8 trans. the caged bearing (on the right of the pic above) is way more expensive, $25 compared to $8. heres my take on it when rebuilding the 8 speed for my 416....

Yup, great pictorial there Martin, looks as if the cage permits the one to roll freer and not meet opposition with mate like differential pinions (one cw, other CCW) as the mesh against ea other. That reduction you're holding there is one that started question with the B-68 vs BH-68. My first thought was the larger rollers would tend to corrugate the shaft easier, but feel that is only from lack of lube. Anyway source has most all for under $10 ea and now have a few too many spares but plan on using em some where. Thanks for your input