jeff w

Axel seals

jeff w

Just a quick question on replacing axel seal on my C-81--> Is it 1" or 11/8, also, can you still get steel (seals), or only plastic? Part number? In addition, are seals normally readily available?

pfrederi

C81 if original should be 1-1/8 look at pinned post top of page for seal #s.  Toro are usually plastic CR/SKF steel

Edited by pfrederi

Racinbob

Yes, 1 1/8" Toro #100443 and are $5.92 direct from Toro.

jeff w

Update on axel seal: Removed left hub (about an hour w/my puller)and discovered no seal? Can see the bearing w/a nice space for seal on outer housing. This hub has never been off, but plenty of tell tale signs of long term leak until fluid was very low. Am I missing something here or is it time to knock out keyway, emery cloth axel and then seal(Toro plastic) and then anti seize area around hub upon reinstalling? First time on this and want no mistakes. Thank you in advance!

stevasaurus

Don't know why you do not have a seal there.  You need one.  File all burrs on end of axle and on key way.  Some guys like to put some tape on the end of the axle and over the key way to not cut the rubber in the seal when placing.  :)

jeff w

Here is a pic of axel w/ bearing only? Yes I will use emory cloth to clean axel up before reinstall. Evidently no seal when unit made?

pfrederi

Here is a pic of axel w/ bearing only? Yes I will use emory cloth to clean axel up before reinstall. Evidently no seal when unit made?

That would be highly unlikely.  More likely seal fell apart and no one replaced it or pulled it and didn't replace it. Do not see apicture