jay brasell

Raider 10 transmission rebuild

jay brasell

I'm a new subscriber and I'm in the process of restoring my first wheel horse lawn tractor which happens to be a raider 10. The transmission needs seals and bearings and I was wondering if someone could tell me what transmission I have and possibly give me a list of the bearings and seals I will need. All I know about the transmission is its a uni drive with 3 forward speeds and reverse and a high low. Thanks for any help.

gwest_ca

Welcome to the forum.

What is the model number of your tractor? Looks like they used 3 different transmission models.

Garry

groundhog47

:text-welcomewave:  to :rs:  One of the members, stevasaurus, Steve compiled a list of bearings and seals for most all transmissions. Here is location to click on for info:

KATO

WELCOME to :rs:

stevasaurus

Jay...Welcome to Red Square.  Basically, your trans is an 8 speed with either 1" or 1 1/8" diameter axles...your model number will tell us which one...or you can take off one of the wheels and hub and measure.  In the link that Hodge gave you...you want the 3rd PDF in the 1st post.  That deals with both diameter axles.  :)

BTW...we just love pictures.

jay brasell

I knew I was forgetting something , it has 1 1/8 axles and the model # is 1 6931.

stevasaurus

That model number goes to a1968 raider 9 with a #5060 transmission.  :)The #5060 transmission is actually considered a 6 speed transmission.  They just counted the forward gears back then.

I could be wrong about the Raider 9 or 10 part...my list is a little confusing with that listing...but it should be the #5060 transmission.  :)

You should be able to use the 3rd PDF for your bearings and seals...just verify the diameter of all the shafts.

Axle...1 1/8"

Brake shaft...3/4"

Input shaft...5/8"

11/44 Mushroom gear...1"

The link for your manual...

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/download/108-tractor-1968-raider-9-1-6931-om-ipl-wiring-359pdf/

Edited by stevasaurus

groundhog47

I knew I was forgetting something , it has 1 1/8 axles and the model # is 1 6931.

Oops Steve is correct as usual that comes up a 68 Raider 9. So Steve apologies, hope didn't break toes when stepped on :oops:

Edited by groundhog47
  • Like 1

jay brasell

The serial number on the tag is 478360. The sticker on the side list it as a raider 10. I have pictures I will post when I figure out how to do so. Not real good with this electronic stuff. THANKS! to everyone for all the help and information.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Gerry...that "correct as usual" statement is an oxy-moran in my case. :)  My paperwork shows the numbers like this...

1968   Raider 9, 10     1-6931 - 1-6041

When you pull up the manual for Wheel Horse 1-6931, it shows a Raider 9 with a 9 hsp Tecumsah engine...but we all know that Wheel Horse used the parts they had on the shelf at times.  Jay...you did good...you have the 10 hsp Kohler.  Unless...you have the 9 hsp Tecumsah with the 10 hsp Kohler hood... :eusa-think::bow-blue:   Regardless...they both have the #5060 transmission. :orcs-cheers:

Digger 66

Welcome aboard bud , Got a Raider 10 myself   :greetings-wavegreen:

groundhog47

Gerry...that "correct as usual" statement is an oxy-moran in my case. :)  My paperwork shows the numbers like this...

1968   Raider 9, 10     1-6931 - 1-6041

When you pull up the manual for Wheel Horse 1-6931, it shows a Raider 9 with a 9 hsp Tecumsah engine...but we all know that Wheel Horse used the parts they had on the shelf at times.  Jay...you did good...you have the 10 hsp Kohler.  Unless...you have the 9 hsp Tecumsah with the 10 hsp Kohler hood... :eusa-think::bow-blue:   Regardless...they both have the #5060 transmission. :orcs-cheers:

I know I'm getting off topic, but that is strange,  they (WH) came with the so many sizes. Course like shopping for anything there is a price range for most everyone and they prob kept that in mind. 

Jay don't give us up, if you can get a pic or two as you get the internals visible, someone will ID it exactly. Purt near a lot of the bearings and seals if not all are carried from one model to next.  Thanks to supplier, admin- (Admin), this manual has a detailed repair assembly, parts breakdown, ect for nearly all fro 58-82 transmissions:

PM sent on a source

Edited by groundhog47
  • Like 1