1971Raider10

Tecumseh 10 HP Fuel Pump/Carb Question

1971Raider10

Hi folks,

I have a 1971 Raider 10 with the the original 10hp Tecumseh. The carb on this model has a vacuum style fuel pump that screws into the side of the carb and has one line coming from the tank and one coming from the engine. The carb has been rebuilt and the engine still won't run unless I bottle feed it. I have determined that the fuel pump isn't pulling fuel. This tractor has the fuel shut off that screws in and out, my question is, can those ever go bad? Would there be any problem with running the line straight from the bottom of the tank to the filter or do I need to keep that shut off in line? Also does anyone make that fuel pump in the aftermarket or are they discontinued? I haven't seen any quite like it. I can post a picture tomorrow if that would help.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

-Collin

tbarnhart

If your fuel pump is the rectangular 1 1/4 by 2 1/4 approx. walbro fuel pump that a lot of those Tecumsehs came with, you can get a kit with new diaphragms on the bay. Search for Tecumseh walbro fuel pump. Its not a big job to unscrew and rebuild.

• Like 1

1971Raider10

If your fuel pump is the rectangular 1 1/4 by 2 1/4 approx. walbro fuel pump that a lot of those Tecumsehs came with, you can get a kit with new diaphragms on the bay. Search for Tecumseh walbro fuel pump. Its not a big job to unscrew and rebuild.

Thanks for the lead, I attached a picture of my pump. Is it really just as easy as unscrewing it, putting the new gasket in and reassembling? Is that all that goes wrong with those pumps?

post-6662-0-70896000-1399609948_thumb.jp

tbarnhart

There is two diaphragms and small springs that act as check valves to the fuel flow. It's basically just taking it apart, cleaning and reinstalling new diaphragms exactly as it came apart. It may be easier to remove the fuel pump from the carb. It should just screw out of the carb body, but the carb has to be removed from the engine first. Just be careful that as you take it apart so you know the position of the diaphragms and springs.

woodchuckfarmer

A Little grease will hold those springs in place when you rebuild the pump.

1971Raider10

Thank you both for your help, I am going to order the kit off eBay and rebuild it. I'll report back with questions and results.