Tankman

Onan 20hp

Tankman

This Onan was workin' fine when parked months ago, now, no start.

When I first purchased, numerous 'lectric problems. Jumped the starter and added a push button on the dash. Worked great, turn key on, push the button to start, purred like a "lion."

Now, nada, zip, nothin'! The push button does crank the engine but, guess no spark.

What's the quick 'n easy way to be sure the ignition is turned on?  :eusa-think:

Edited by Tankman

Theroundhousernr

Check to see if there is 12 volts at the coil with your meter.  Or you could jump power from the positive side of the battery to the positive side of the coil.  Do not put 12 volts + to the negative side of the coil, It will fry your trigger and maybe the coil.

If it was me , I would go over all the wiring and take care of all the issues and return it back to original. Then it would save you a lot of these head aches.

• Like 1

Tankman

Checked voltage to the coil. Positive terminal does have 12 volts when the key is turned on.

Engine cranks and using a plug test, appears both plugs are sparking (?)  :eusa-think:

HokieAg07

Did you drain and run the machine out of fuel before winter?

I have had hard time getting mine going in such instances. So bad this year, ended up taking the top of the carb off to fill the bowl manually to get it going!! 

Just a thought

Desko

That or it was ran hot before you parked it and it dropped a valve seat these onans do it without warning.

boovuc

If your sparking both plugs, you probably have a fuel delivery issue. Go over the fuel system from the tank valve to the carb.Make sure your fuel pump is infact, pumping fuel. If it is and you have fuel in your lines, it's carb cleaning time and that is what I would guess 75% of the issues are when these engines don't start under the circumstances you wrote.

KATO

Could also be as simple as stale gas....seen that one lots.

Tankman

Thank you Horse Heads!   :laughing-rofl:

Fresh gas, cleaned some wiring and fuses, fired up and mowed 'd lawn!

Now, ready for any growth! Thanks again for the imput from all.

Tankman

I must say, "Wiring is ugly." A summer thingy to do."