wheelhorse66

transaxle play

wheelhorse66

I'm having trouble with my 1276 with the 3 speed jerking when I put on the brake or taking off.it like it has forward and backward play.I can put it in gear and can roll it forward and backwards about 8inches or so. Is this Normal?

stevasaurus

Are you sure it is a 1276?  Yes, the slack you have it the transmission is pretty much normal.  The slack is in the belt...not in the trans.  Make sure you have the right size belt, clean the grooves in the drive..tension and input pulleys with mineral spirits, lightly wipe the belt with spirits also, try starting out at a slower speed, make sure the guides for the belt are OK in the belt guard, and check the clutch spring for stretching and weakness.  :)

SousaKerry

Also make sure all your keyways are in good shape i.e. input pulley, brake drum, and wheel hubs.  If they are loose the half moon keys in the shafts can wear out the keyways and cause some slop as well.  Usually the wheel hubs will be frozen in place but if you have a leaky seal or someone used neverseaze on them they can work loose.

sorekiwi

The 1276 was a hydro tractor, someone must have swapped in a 3 speed trans.

wheelhorse66

Idk must have.I haven't had it long.