peigt14

gt14 transmission oil

peigt14

wondering what is best for transmission of my gt14, the wheelhorse transmission repair manaul says use only 10w30 engine quality oil, the gt14 owners manaul says type "A" automatic transmission fluid, just curious what others have been using

pfrederi

Either one will work just fine....do not mix them!!1  ATF will be cherry red, motor oil will be tan.

Brrly1

Paul, nailed it on the head. What ever is existing I would replece it with the same fluid. I am sure that the dexron tranny fluid should work just fine. Thats probably what was used so I wouldn't worry about the type A fluid. I would tell you that I use the Wheel Horse trans filter but somebody will come along and tell ya different,  they are a good tractor all the way around, any season. So Good Luck

kbkakes

Greeting to all. Im finaly a new member to the forum. I have been sniping for quit a while and getting outstanding info "just from reading" when needed about my prized 1992 520h which Iv had for 19 years. Im close to retirement and am thinking about doing some WH collecting.

Any way. Was talking to me local Toro dealer today While picking up a trans-axle filter. Was going use 10-30 oil as the manual said but he said I should continue using TORO HY-PRO trans fluid or I could burn it up. Not sure I believe him?  That stuffs expensive! What do ya think?

Edited by kbkakes

HorseFixer

KBLAKES  He is full of HORSE HOCKEY!  30wt oil will work just fine. I use 10W30 Full Synthetic Four Stroke AMSOIL in all my Hydro's But Dino oil will work just fine. Make sure you use a Wheel Horse Filter tho as they don't have an Anti Drain back valve that restricts Flow.  :thumbs:

And by the way  :WRS:       To     :rs:

~Duke  :wh:

Edited by HorseFixer
  • Like 1

kbkakes

Thanks Duke,

Ya I thought so too. Yup I did pick up a WH filter. Amsoil huh? I use that in all my 2 cycle engines. Valuable info. Thanks again.

Kevin

pfrederi

What is in it now???  I am not familiar with the Toro HyPro fluid.  I do know that mixing motor oil and Transmission fluid is not a good thing. 

Brrly1

Paul, you do not want to mix at all. You are a 100% correct. If you change over from one to the other you need to completely purge the system. Don't forget the filter

Ben Komis

I have a Wheel Horse Charger 12  M#7241P.

The Wheel-a-Matic Transmission calls for Type "A" automatic transmission fluid.  I think it is a 5062 Transmission.  What is Type A automatic transmission fluid?  Can I substitute  with 10w-30 or a synthetic or a Dextron as mentioned previously? Does one use a liquid to purge the transmission with? What is a anti drain back valve?  Is there a special manual on the 5062? 

Thanks for your help!

pfrederi

Type A fluid is Dexron.  What color is your fluid now? (red ATF  tan motor oil) Trying to change from ATF to Motor Oil requires complete purging of the system and in my opinion is not worth the money or time.  The ATF works just fine in my Charger and Electro. 

Manual can be downloaded here

Anti drain back valve is in the filter.

Ben Komis

It is brownish red in color and 1/2 down in level. 

Thanks Paul

pfrederi

ATF is clear Cherry red  (like kool aide)  The brown maybe someone mixed in some motor oil or you got water (makes it cloudy).  Do you have a hydraulic lift on your machine??  If not flushing may be the way to go.  (The hydro lift makes flushing more difficult.)  I will look to see if there is a recommended method...I would start by draining and then just turning it over with the starter to push out some more fluid.  Refill with really cheap motor oil (if there is such a thing) run it around for a few minutes then drain it again, and again use the starter to slowly turn her over .  Each time change the filter...this may be a time to use a cheaper Fram replacement.  You have to repeat this until your drained out oil is consistently tan. Then use good oil and a WH filter.

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

Ben Komis

I do not think I have a hydro lift. I am not sure what the hydro lift is and what it looks like. I think it is just a Wheel-a Matic transmission. What if I drain the Dextron, install a new filter and add new Dextron?

Thanks Paul for your response!

pfrederi

That might work after teh complete drain and refill look at the fluid after alight work out..still clear and red live with it.

Hydro lift would be a cylinder that uses hydraulic to raise and lower the deck

Firsttimer

Can you tell me the filter number for the tranny on a ‘72 GT 14 ?

Firsttimer

I just had one follow me home and it will only move a foot or so when it wants to , the gentleman I got it from said it moved when he brought it, he replaced the tranny fluid and filter it does have red fluid in it. 

I love the one I got awhile back what a work horse.

Edited by Firsttimer
Wrong letter

pfrederi

Wix 51410

Tow valve tight??

• Like 1

Firsttimer

No sir, it turns either way and keeps turning 

pfrederi

Is it pointed the right direction?? There should be a decal showing drive /tow

• Like 1

Firsttimer

Yes,I’ve turned it from tow to engaged is it possible this valve is broken inside the case or is it possible it could be as easy as the wrong filter ?

953 nut
17 minutes ago, Firsttimer said:

is it possible it could be as easy as the wrong filter ?

If in doubt get a NAPA 1410 or Wix 51410 filter.

• Like 1

Firsttimer

Thank you, I have already bought new Fluid and will get a new filter tomorrow and drain it and see what happens!

• Thanks 1

Firsttimer

Pulled the tow value out today along with seat,fenders and rear tires. 

Tomorrow I will drain the oil and filter and inspect to see what they looks like ,will snap some pictures tomorrow.

It always seems like there’s never enough hours in the day ! 

HOpen you all have a good day tomorrow !

Firsttimer

Pulled the tow value out today along with seat,fenders and rear tires. 

Tomorrow I will drain the oil and filter and inspect to see what they looks like ,will snap some pictures tomorrow.

It always seems like there’s never enough hours in the day ! 

HOpen you all have a good day tomorrow !

finally had time to drain the tranny, it was a brownish red and only got about 3/4 of a gallon out of it (see photo) I replaced it with new trans fluid and a new wix filter and the axles turned but the  hydraulic cylinder Still doesn’t work. I will do a pressure test as soon as time allows.

thanks for the help and any advice would be welcome !

95C0766D-7596-4AC0-96CB-8D996F9CCDF7.jpeg

Edited by Firsttimer
  • Like 1