JJudy75

Does the chain in a 7-1252 tiller normally rub the case?

JJudy75

I recently purchase what I think is a 7-1252 tiller.  There is no ID tag on the tiller.  I split the case to inspect before using it.  I noticed that the drive chain rubs the bottom of the case.  There is a small amount of slack in the chain.  Is this common? 

groundhog47

Do you show definite rub marks in case? I would think it should be sufficiently tight as not to rub. When you separate the case a bit of slack occurs that may not present when closed. Tine shaft may have a bit of play as would drive sprocket, very little. The chain rollers could be worn too much or the sprockets teeth if it somehow ran low on gear oil. Believe one I am working on also is 7-1252 and chain doesn't show signs of rub, will look again tomorrow. Moisture and decade and more of set up caused a bit or rust on three or four rollers. Does yours show any sign of interior heavy moisture? This one appears to have been with VERY little gear lube.

slammer302

I split one this year it had been rubbing I the the chain and sprockets get worn and causes slack mine had lots of hours of use on it

groundhog47

This post is good reference although one is older and one newer than ours, but excellent pictures almost same inside. Can't rally tell about chain but looks tight enough to stay off case!

JJudy75

I am ready to reassemble the 7-1252 tiller case, but I am concerned about the end play of the input shaft. The parts list shows a thrust washer between one side of the needle bearing and the spacer on the input shaft. The other end of the input shaft does not have a thrust washer. If I pull slightly outward on the input shaft while rotating it, I can feel the pinion gear against the case. The parts list clearly does NOT show a washer.

rwilson

just remember that roller chain will stretch.

groundhog47

I am ready to reassemble the 7-1252 tiller case, but I am concerned about the end play of the input shaft. The parts list shows a thrust washer between one side of the needle bearing and the spacer on the input shaft. The other end of the input shaft does not have a thrust washer. If I pull slightly outward on the input shaft while rotating it, I can feel the pinion gear against the case. The parts list clearly does NOT show a washer.

The thrust washer should be between closed bearing and tube as shown but mine also had one between gear and bearing, maybe do to previous maintenance.

Just sent mine to grave today, broke case :oops: and already ordered some bearings and seals :deadhorse:

Edited by groundhog47

slammer302

I might take those off your hands

groundhog47

I might take those off your hands

PM sent