JUSS10

300 series hood fix

JUSS10

So I recently picked up a 314-A that was in need of a serious cleaning and also a little rust fix. The worse spot was at the base of the hood where it attaches to the hood hinge. It was completely rusted through and the hood finally fell off after I opened it a few times. Below are some pictures of what it looked like when I took it off the hinge. 

C5638DAE-C666-4B2B-839F-ABA6E0A34F37_zps

My plan is to cut it back a bit to get away from the rusted areas then weld in a new plate with a little reinforcement to fix the hood. Below are some pictures of replacement laser cut plates I had made for this fix. I made some measurements and drew up the plates in cad and kept fitting till I liked it then sent it out to get laser cut. I added an extra plate like what was in the hood for more support. I had two 1/4" holes cut so I could bolt the plates together for welding and once I am done with the welding I will remove the bolts and they will function as drain holes to prevent water build up from rusting it out again. 

C6AC3D0C-F529-4845-93E9-BC3BDE56AB31_zps

F378C0F5-63A0-49C3-B622-C6D9D71A6C90_zps

hope to get to trimming the hood and tack welding it up this weekend and see how it fits

• Like 4

cleat

Wow, I didn't know they rusted out like that.

Nice fix though.

Cleat

JUSS10

This tractor had a rough life stored outside so maybe they usually don't. But mine did, so I'm going to try and fix it this way before going and buying a new hood.

rexman72

i am glad your going to bring that back to life

JUSS10

Everything else on the hood is solid, just that bottom area rotted out. 

GlenPettit

Really nice looking replacement parts!

Suggestion: In opening and closing the hood, that whole area takes a lot of stress, to go up on the sides much further when it is welded in would really help stabilize/reduce the twisting that area is subjected to in use.

JUSS10

Glen,

Thanks for the tip! I think I will add some tie bars or something in that area to brace it all together. I think they may have added those on later models?

Martin

Not sure when but the later models do have bracing. My 1995 416 hood.....

3uda6e7a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JUSS10

Thanks for the picture martin! Any chance you can get a photo at the base where the rods attach at the bottom?

Martin

Sorry Justin, i missed your post somehow......

post-4321-0-79040400-1398634652_thumb.jp

• Like 1

JUSS10

No problem. Thanks Martin. Hope to do some work on it this afternoon. 

• Like 1

wrightorchid

Any way that I can can get a set of these?  I have the same problem, almost as bad.  The bracing is also much sturdier that the stock one that I have on my 312-8.

JUSS10

The laser cut plates? I can probably get a few more cut. They aren't just drop in, you need to cut the bottom off the hood and do a little body work with fine welding. If you are cool with that, I can get some more. Shoot me a PM and we can discuss.

Thanks!

Justin

HorseFixer

Nice looking fab Job on the plates looks like your doing it right! :handgestures-thumbupright:

~Duke  :wh:

JUSS10

Well i got to cutting the old bit out and welding the new part on. Its not pretty but I didn't want to cut back any more than I had to so there was still a little rust and thin metal left. I'm not a body guy, but I think it turned out pretty good! Going to get in there with a little filler and add some bracing to strengthen things up and she should be good to go! Even though the extra plate was welded to the inside originally, I had it on the bottom to make up for some of the thickness I lost by cutting the lower section out. I test fit the hood and it does look like I may need to shim it up a little but otherwise it fits great!

CB842100-8FD5-47D7-8B8F-A28AB730B8DE_zps

7DEEFEC2-A0CF-40B7-AD70-1F2BDD9E5FA0_zps